October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
27 Jan 2019 15:41 #290754 by SaMoKo
Only to get my 100% trophy completion, but because I enjoy it dammit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2019 16:02 #290755 by hotseatgames
The guys I play PUBG with wanted me to try out League of Legends. I'm currently working with Wolff Designa on the cooperative mode for Guards of Atlantis II, so I figured, why not....

This game... it's very repetitive, and while I was having some fun playing co-op, my first match against actual people was miserable. We got wrecked, and I kept getting one-shotted by people who clearly knew what the hell they were doing. While I can kind of see the appeal, I'd much rather play Diablo.

It was useful in seeing the origin of a lot of the mechanics of Guards of Atlantis, though. It gave me a new appreciation for how great Guards really is.

More
27 Jan 2019 17:07 #290757 by Jackwraith
Oof. Yeah. If you're not familiar with MOBAs, in general, and League, in specific, your first encounter with other players will not be entertaining. I've never played League, so I don't know if it exists, but if there's an AI mode, I'd try a couple games of that just so you get familiar with basic mechanics and so forth. Incidentally, if you end up liking that style of game, Blizzard has one called Heroes of the Storm, which includes many characters from Diablo (they just added Imperius a week or two ago.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Jan 2019 17:28 #290758 by hotseatgames
There is co-op vs. AI. I found that to be decent fun. The only reason I even did the PvP was because there was a mission to do it, that seemed to imply I'd get a free character as a reward. What I got instead was a "character shard", and I have no idea what that even is.

More
27 Jan 2019 17:48 #290759 by Jackwraith
Champion shards are currency that are usually used to buy skins and other cosmetic upgrades within League, since all champions are free to play (last I knew.) So, unless you're going to be a regular... yeah, probably not worth the abuse of PvP.

More
27 Jan 2019 19:11 #290761 by hotseatgames
Thanks. All champions are not free. You can earn in-game currency to purchase them permanently, or pay real money. A rotating subset are free all the time.

More
27 Jan 2019 20:36 #290763 by Sevej
90% finishing with my Crusader Diablo 3 build. Right now TXIII is becoming a joke, and I finished Greater Rift 70 (prolly equal to non-existant TXIV) with relative ease.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
27 Jan 2019 21:43 #290766 by Gary Sax
DOTA2 has the all champions free always model.

More
28 Jan 2019 10:21 #290790 by RobertB
Diablo III was boring me to tears. So I gave it a rest and bought Torchlight II from GOG for $4. Similar level of excitement. I'll take the blame for some of that, and revisit Torchlight 2 after I play something else for a little bit. That 'something else' lately is The Witcher III. I finished it a couple of years ago, so I thought I'd dust it off and play it again. Geralt the smartass gives me a laugh.

More
28 Jan 2019 13:50 - 28 Jan 2019 17:44 #290802 by Frohike
I'm having a lot of fun with the Resident Evil 2 remake. This and Nemesis were my only forays into the genre back in the late 90's before I went down the JRPG rabbit hole and RE itself went in a different direction.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the small, recursively explored space of RE2. It actually reminds me of old adventure games, where you're holding this growing inventory full of puzzle pieces and one room/board finally gives you the missing parts to one or multiple puzzles, which themselves unlock progression on multiple paths. RE2 gates this with zombies, ammo/resource scarcity, jump scares, etc, to great effect. In fact, it almost feels like it's filling in the gap left by Telltale's demise. It's kind of casual & puzzly, enjoyably cheezy, but missing some of that old Telltale humor. The writing is a little... off, but I'll take that as slight compensation for the loss of the delightfully terrible voice acting from the originals.

Someone on reddit coined an apt term for the style: Spookyvania. I hope to see more of this.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2019 17:44 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Vysetron

More
28 Jan 2019 14:25 #290803 by Black Barney
I downloaded the demo and am dying to try it

So you’ve never played RE1 or RE4? The first is terrifying, the 4th is more of an action game but might be the best video game of all time. Both are worth trying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
28 Jan 2019 14:38 #290805 by Frohike
Yep, I was late to the game with the Playstation because I'd just moved to NYC and was living on a Starbucks paycheck (full benefits for 20 hours/week at the time; amazing). My first games on the system were Tomb Raider 2 and RE2, followed by FFVII which nudged me into JRPG territory. These came along at that "sweet spot" in my life where I had a few spare bucks per month to drop on a game & had no other obligations besides rent & a boring retail job. Good times.

More
28 Jan 2019 14:50 #290806 by hotseatgames
After a long hiatus, I actually loaded up RE4 yesterday. Now it won't recognize my 360 gamepad so I quickly gave up after how bad the keyboard controls are.

Barney, there is no metric that has RE4 being the best game of all time. Unless it's "BEST GAME CALLED RESIDENT EVIL 4".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Jan 2019 15:01 #290807 by Black Barney
YOU HAVE NO SENSE OF FASHION

More
28 Jan 2019 19:12 #290819 by Jexik
I went back to FTL an have been having a hell of a time trying to beat it with the Zoltan ship, even on Easy. I've gotten to the last boss 3 or 4 times, losing to the 2nd and 3rd stage a couple times each.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.090 seconds