October 09, 2023
2662 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2842 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Eastcoast Earthquake

More
24 Aug 2011 00:40 - 24 Aug 2011 00:40 #102032 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Eastcoast Earthquake

quozl wrote: Was this the extent of the devastation?

jmckinley.posterous.com/dc-earthquake-devastation

HA! Funny picture.

However, the National Cathedral was damaged which makes me sad.

Last edit: 24 Aug 2011 00:40 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2011 02:02 #102040 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Eastcoast Earthquake
Washington Monument too. Heard it will be closed indefinitely.

More
24 Aug 2011 02:07 #102041 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re: Eastcoast Earthquake
After surverying the damage Quozl, I found a piece of mortar that my wife says fell from the brick in our living room during the quake. My God man, it's as big as my finger! My finger!
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl

More
24 Aug 2011 06:01 - 24 Aug 2011 06:06 #102066 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Eastcoast Earthquake

Mr. Bistro wrote: After surverying the damage Quozl, I found a piece of mortar that my wife says fell from the brick in our living room during the quake. My God man, it's as big as my finger! My finger!

Yea, I think there's going to be a real boom in the tuckpointing and mortar touch-up industry for the next couple of weeks most places outside of Louisa and Culpeper, both of which suffered pretty heavy property damage to a lot of older brickwork (Civil War-era downtowns in particular) and some road infrastructure.

I will say that I did actually have a momentary scare out of this basic non-event though. The office I was in today is directly across the street from the front gate of the National Reconnaissance Office. For a Super Secret Spy Agency[tm], the facility is about as close to wide open as you can be these days, right off the street [unlike the Pentagon or CIA which have a mile of parking and frontage road before you hit the actual facility], with a big sign in front that says...NATIONAL RECONNAISSANCE OFFICE HERE-> like every good Super Secret Spy Agency should (I'm not joking about any of that. If the signs weren't indication enough, the 9 billion SATCOM links all over the place and the 1,000 people in uniform heading in and out of the joint might be some kind of clue that it's An Important US Military Installation). So, when hit with a suddenly shaking and rumbling building, there was this momentary but very real fear that some fuckwit decided to drive an SUV full of ANFO into the guard shack across the street to make an explosive political statement. It's a little weird finding myself saying "gee, glad it was only an earthquake."

EDIT: Doesn't SkaBaron live somewhere near Culpeper [maybe it was Stafford]? He checked in today? He may be one of those closest FA:Tties to the epicenter
Last edit: 24 Aug 2011 06:06 by Dogmatix.

More
24 Aug 2011 14:14 - 24 Aug 2011 14:16 #102075 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re: Eastcoast Earthquake
Aw, thanks Dogmatix - Live near Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County, but the house was fine other than a few pictures askew and the wife's cosmetics toppled over.

Downtown DC though... UGH. We evacuated along with everyone else with almost no where to go. Hung out for an hour before going back and gettin dimissed. Since I live far far away from where I work, and I happened to drive in (rarity), I was one of the buffoons in the gridlock.

If this city every needed - like 9/11 needed - to evacuate in a "hurry" - PSSH! Good freakin luck. Commentators on the radio talked about how DC failed yet again on this disaster management. OPM is run by a couple of monkeys with a dart board as far as Fed Gov dimissals go. Every time the same thing.

I even heard the Nuclear Regulatory Committee couldnt get ahold of anyone at OPM to tell them they'd been erroneously listed as closed today. Would love to hear their answering machine message...

So - Dogmatix had it all for DC. Earthquake scary, but not bad. Resulting traffic, scary and bad.

EDIT: oh, and I know that Culpeper declared a state of emergency. While they suffered damage, I think it was more of a bureaucratic move.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2011 14:16 by Ska_baron.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds