October 09, 2023
2640 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2829 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Hurricane Irene

More
28 Aug 2011 03:17 #102363 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
Just heard that they have lost power in parts of the New Haven, CT area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2011 04:06 #102367 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re: Hurricane Irene

ubarose wrote:

billyz wrote:

Josh Look wrote: Pretty sure that's true, Barney. I know parts of NY _HAVE_ been evacuated. I'm fairly certain that there were evacuations where Matt Loter lives as well.

WTF? Exactly what kind of weather are they expecting that far North?

We are expecting flooding along the coast and waterways, boat and marina damage, power outages from downed trees knocking power lines, roads blocked by flooding and downed trees. We have had a very wet summer so the water table is already high. The ground is soft and saturated so trees are going to go down if we get any kind of strong winds.

OOof. Is this a usual thing when it comes to strong hurricanes?

More
28 Aug 2011 04:18 #102369 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
only if there has been a ton of rain which I guess there has?

billyz, what's this business about not wanting to play games together? Sounds fun. But we like different games, no?

More
28 Aug 2011 04:32 #102370 by billyz

Black Barney wrote: only if there has been a ton of rain which I guess there has?

billyz, what's this business about not wanting to play games together? Sounds fun. But we like different games, no?

Hell, I'll play anything. Is it just mr or are we not getting anything up here yet?

More
28 Aug 2011 04:46 #102371 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
We're not done with Irene yet in NJ, but when we are, we'll pass that girl along.

More
28 Aug 2011 05:05 #102372 by billyz
Hark! is that the rolling of thunder I hear in the distance?

More
28 Aug 2011 05:16 #102373 by ubarose

billyz wrote:

ubarose wrote:

billyz wrote:

Josh Look wrote: Pretty sure that's true, Barney. I know parts of NY _HAVE_ been evacuated. I'm fairly certain that there were evacuations where Matt Loter lives as well.

WTF? Exactly what kind of weather are they expecting that far North?

We are expecting flooding along the coast and waterways, boat and marina damage, power outages from downed trees knocking power lines, roads blocked by flooding and downed trees. We have had a very wet summer so the water table is already high. The ground is soft and saturated so trees are going to go down if we get any kind of strong winds.

OOof. Is this a usual thing when it comes to strong hurricanes?

It isn't it's strength, it's Irene's path and speed. It's rare for hurricanes to actually hit up here. It hasn't happened since Gloria back in 1985. We get weather caused by hurricanes that are out at sea annually. These typically causes some flooding and damage along the coast. Irene is expected to actually hit land up here, and it's slow moving so a lot of water is going to be dumped on us.

More
28 Aug 2011 12:11 #102377 by Black Barney

billyz wrote:

Black Barney wrote: only if there has been a ton of rain which I guess there has?

Hell, I'll play anything. Is it just mr or are we not getting anything up here yet?

it got downgraded pretty quick to a 2 and then to a 1 so we weren't going to really see much of it up here. I slept through the night without incident. My Bernese Mountain dog, Eva, woke me up at 7 am which she rarely does so I thought for a second she was trying to wake me up cuz of one of those weird animal instinct things where she senses upcoming danger and wants to warn me (there's a few cool stories circling around about behaviour of some animals in zoos before Irene hit).

anyway, she just needed to pee

More
28 Aug 2011 12:20 #102378 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
We've still got power. The town I'm in is nothing but trees, so I'm a bit surprised. The rain and wind is starting to really pick up though, so who knows for how long. It's Dragon Age until it goes out, board games by candlelight when it does!

More
28 Aug 2011 15:01 #102381 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
Ain't shit happening to me, kinda disappointing since the tattoo party I was going to last night got rescheduled for nothing. They did evacuate most of the area around us late last night, but we live near the top of a big hill so we're fine for anything but a huge tsunami, though its possible we become an island for a bit. Lost power for a few minutes and it was kinda windy, but meh. The bar we went to last night was packed, so it seems most people are like us and don't really give a shit. One of the dogs did shit on the foot peddle for the Rock Band drums cause he/she didn't want to go shit outside, so that's some pretty serious damage done!

Lots of NYC was told to evacuate and totally didn't. Another party I was planning on hitting up still went on without incident in Brooklyn. I hear a bunch of streets are flooded now though, but nothing totally crazytown.

More
28 Aug 2011 15:45 #102387 by Black Barney
i keep hearing all these magical stories of bars that have Rock Band setups and I have yet to see one. I would love that. I finally found a video game cafe-type place where I could play RB3 and RB-Beatles for free while sippin' a latte and that makes for a great break when the workday is crap

More
28 Aug 2011 17:19 #102391 by ubarose

Josh Look wrote: We've still got power. The town I'm in is nothing but trees, so I'm a bit surprised.

I think that the localized fierce storms we had earlier this spring and summer were a blessing in disguise. Earlier this summer we had power knocked out and roads closed down three different times due to downed trees within a couple of blocks from our house. If those trees hadn't come down then, they certainly would have all come down at the same time in this storm, and then we would have a real mess in town. I think those incidents were also a wake up call to both the town and the utility company, because I've seen tree crews cutting back branches that overhang power lines, and cutting down at risk trees all over our area this summer. This is a big change from prior years. This summer I saw crews working on a tree that our neighborhood has been trying to get cut back for a couple of years without action taken by either the town or the utility company.

More
28 Aug 2011 17:29 #102392 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
My father refers to this as the 25-year-tree-stress-test. Clear out that substandard foliage.

More
28 Aug 2011 17:42 #102393 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
I think Irene swept right by Mahopac, NY about about two hours ago. Isn't that where Zev is based? Glad that she seems to have run out of steam.

More
28 Aug 2011 18:17 #102394 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
Zev is in Mahopac. My father lives nearby and I am pretty sure he's without power.

I lost power for about 4 hours in southern NH. Since I didn't know how long it would last, cranked up the generator when it first went out. That thing is well worth the initial investment I made 10 years ago. Probably have used it for close to 15 days total over the years.

Went out for a drive. Very quiet. A lot of places had power, but were closed.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds