October 09, 2023
2646 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2834 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Hurricane Irene

More
28 Aug 2011 18:52 #102396 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
Well, Irene finally showed up. Strong winds and a crazy amount of rain. Hopefully people get spooked and stay the fuck home so I can have a slow night at work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2011 22:31 #102398 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
Well, it would seem that, once again, I opened my fucking mouth a bit too soon. Lost power at 4:30PM. Decided to go to work early- what the fuck? At least I can get a hot meal at work (for free).

Fun factoid: Very strong winds are quite scary at higher elevations- like when you're stuck in traffic at a bridge's highest point. No fucking joke, it was like going through a fucking carwash the wind was so strong. Water was coming back UP and OUT of the drains, and the bridge was fucking swaying WHILE TRAFFIC WAS AT A DEAD STOP.

On the bright side the parking lots were empty. Getting paid for doing nothing here I come!

More
29 Aug 2011 07:18 - 29 Aug 2011 07:31 #102410 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
Vermont has been hit hard.

My daughter's school is just behind and up a hill from the person who shot that video. The bridge and the building to the right of it are gone now. We're in Seattle, moving back to VT on Wednesday, and hoping the roads will be in good enough shape for us to make it back home. We live in Woodstock, which got thoroughly flooded, but luckily we're about half a mile uphill from the the river shown in that video. Shellie, you'll be happy to know that the Taftsville Bridge appears to have survived intact.

One weird aspect of the Ottauquechee flooding is that an estimated 200 propane and oil tanks ended up getting washed downstream and lodged in the Quechee Gorge, just below the bridge.

I work in White River Junction, VT, at the Center for Cartoon Studies, where we turned part of an old firehouse into the Charles Schulz Memorial Comics Library. Last I heard, the book collection had been successfully evacuated, but the building itself (right on the river) had been flooded, and a container freight car had lodged itself in the building's back side.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 07:31 by Jason Lutes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
29 Aug 2011 14:22 - 29 Aug 2011 14:25 #102418 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
Thanks you for the good news regarding my beloved bridge. The flooding in Woodstock breaks my heart. Many of those homes and buildings were built in the 1830's. I hope they are able to be repaired and restored. I heard the local propane company was flooded which caused all those tanks to be released into the river. There's major concerns about the propane being released into the air as they float down river.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 14:25 by ubarose.

More
29 Aug 2011 18:15 #102432 by ubarose
A little comic relief:

Fancie Pants lost power and can't get her car out of her garage because she has an electric garage door opener, and no other way in except for a window that seems to have been painted shut. Doh! The Man is over there trying to figure out a way to break in that will do the least damage.

More
29 Aug 2011 18:26 #102434 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
My garage door has a cord attached to a handle to disengage the door from the chain on the track and then you pull it open and shut like a non electric door. Should be pretty easy I would think.

Glad to hear your place is OK Jason. It sounds like Vermont got hit worse than just about anyplace else, with god knows how many roads washed out and probably more to come. I saw pics of Rt 4 between Killington and Rutland that were pretty severe.

More
29 Aug 2011 18:41 #102437 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
oh man, i used to drive between Killington and Rutland is my youth. Killington used to have (maybe they still do), these summer bobsled-like tracks where you fly down a concrete track down the mountain in this luge-like vehicle where all you have is a handbrake. I used to take the turns way too fast and it would kick up and the wheels would come out of the track a bit. The manager gave me a severe talking to and a big warning. I got all intimated and played nice :(

More
29 Aug 2011 18:46 - 29 Aug 2011 18:48 #102438 by ubarose

Msample wrote: My garage door has a cord attached to a handle to disengage the door from the chain on the track and then you pull it open and shut like a non electric door. Should be pretty easy I would think.

She has one of those, but it is INSIDE the garage. The problem is that they can't get inside the garage to pull the cord.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 18:48 by ubarose.

More
29 Aug 2011 19:40 #102442 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: Hurricane Irene

Black Barney wrote: oh man, i used to drive between Killington and Rutland is my youth. Killington used to have (maybe they still do), these summer bobsled-like tracks where you fly down a concrete track down the mountain in this luge-like vehicle where all you have is a handbrake. I used to take the turns way too fast and it would kick up and the wheels would come out of the track a bit. The manager gave me a severe talking to and a big warning. I got all intimated and played nice :(

Partway down the page are pics of Rt 4 near Mendon, about halfway between the access road and Rutland. Also some pics of one of the lodges at the base of the mountain. That road is severely compromised. Look at the background and see how close the edge of the erosion is to the center line painted on the road.

www.killingtonzone.com/forums/viewtopic....f=1&t=32652&start=60

More
30 Aug 2011 00:58 #102449 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Hurricane Irene
48 hours without power, but we're stronger for it. I made the kids eat raw meat to show them how much better technology makes our lives. Besides, it had been thawed for two days at that point so I was going to throw it away anyhow.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
30 Aug 2011 03:11 - 30 Aug 2011 03:14 #102452 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: 48 hours without power, but we're stronger for it. I made the kids eat raw meat to show them how much better technology makes our lives. Besides, it had been thawed for two days at that point so I was going to throw it away anyhow.

S.

HA! THe Spawn was at my parent's house when they lost power yesterday afternoon. She survived 2 hours before she was calling us begging to come home. We made her stick it out until today because it was too dangerous to drive over and get them. She was unusually pleasant this evening. I think she was afraid we would send her back to her grandparents, who declined our invitation to stay with us.

Francie's dad was able to break into her garage and get the electric garage door opener disabled.

I now have 4 households worth of food crammed into two fridges at my house. I hope that when people get their power back they will be able to remember whose stuff is whose.

The chinese food place has lines out the door. You'd think it was the town's disaster relief center.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 03:14 by ubarose.

More
30 Aug 2011 05:22 #102455 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: Hurricane Irene

Sagrilarus wrote: 48 hours without power, but we're stronger for it. I made the kids eat raw meat to show them how much better technology makes our lives. Besides, it had been thawed for two days at that point so I was going to throw it away anyhow.

Careful, or they'll R-U-N-N O-F-T.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds