October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2725 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
27 Sep 2017 17:42 #254903 by Gary Sax
I saw Kingsman: Golden Circle last night.

It's too long, but I laughed reasonably hard and the action is entertaining. It has a wonderful twist on the evil badguy plan being totally reasonable and its interaction with the American president. So, recommend it, especially if you liked the first one. I kind of needed a light film like it this week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2017 18:08 #254905 by boothwah

Hex Sinister wrote: Early buzz for Blade Runner 2049 is great. I'm super hyped.

Not watching it. I saw enough Orange and Teal in the trailer, to remind me that at the end of the day, even if this has been done well, it's being put out by an artless, tasteless industry that has left any pretense of making good, challenging, quality movies behind in favor of regurgitating nostalgia to us and then coloring it all Orange and Teal.

There was one shot with Harrison Ford that the color was so saturated that i was trying to figure out if it was so supposed to be some special effect.

It ruins movies for me now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
27 Sep 2017 18:53 - 27 Sep 2017 18:55 #254908 by ChristopherMD

Sorry, wrong poster.

Last edit: 27 Sep 2017 18:55 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Pat II, Frohike, Gregarius

More
27 Sep 2017 19:49 #254912 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: I saw Kingsman: Golden Circle last night.

I haven't seen either, but the new one coming out made me interested in seeing the first one (still haven't) and then seeing the new one. My in-laws said the first one was really good, but the second one was terrible. I took this with a grain of salt since, among other things, a lot of swearing can turn them off to a movie. Glad to hear a differing opinion.

More
27 Sep 2017 19:52 #254913 by Gary Sax
Even if you don't like the humor I think that both have over the top action that is actually pretty well shot and presented. So worst case scenario you see some cool fight scenes.

More
27 Sep 2017 20:29 #254914 by hotseatgames
The first Kingsmen is fantastic. I haven't seen the new one. And I'm psyched for Blade Runner, more than any other upcoming movie that I know about.

More
28 Sep 2017 05:31 #254923 by Hex Sinister

boothwah wrote:

Hex Sinister wrote: Early buzz for Blade Runner 2049 is great. I'm super hyped.

Not watching it. I saw enough Orange and Teal in the trailer, to remind me that at the end of the day, even if this has been done well, it's being put out by an artless, tasteless industry that has left any pretense of making good, challenging, quality movies behind in favor of regurgitating nostalgia to us and then coloring it all Orange and Teal.

There was one shot with Harrison Ford that the color was so saturated that i was trying to figure out if it was so supposed to be some special effect.

It ruins movies for me now.

I don't care if a film is all pink and brown if it's a good film. And nostalgia isn't going to color my perspective. I won't argue that Hollywood has become lazy and won't take chances anymore. They DO regurgitate complete shit. But there can be no exceptions? This isn't stupid fucking Jurassic Park 7 or the Flintstones. It's a sequel to a classic film. Nostalgia is like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers. Shit you wouldn't watch again as an adult but will turn on the netflix movie for yuks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Sep 2017 11:50 #254956 by Gregarius
I'm cautiously optimistic for BR2049. The original is one of my all-time favorite films, and I refuse to let this one corrupt that. Good or bad, the original stands apart.

I'm mostly excited to see it just because it's been murder avoiding the trailers. So far, I've seen nothing but the poster.

More
28 Sep 2017 12:10 #254958 by Shellhead
I watched the special features for Tucker and Dale vs. Evil last night, and it confirmed my belief that this movie faltered due to the script. Alan Tudyk is a funny guy, but not very funny in this movie. But all of his outtakes are funny, and his improv lines are better than the script. The director should have made Tudyk the star and given him more freedom on the set.

More
30 Sep 2017 20:46 - 30 Sep 2017 20:47 #255071 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: Even if you don't like the humor I think that both have over the top action that is actually pretty well shot and presented. So worst case scenario you see some cool fight scenes.

My wife and I watched both Kingsman movies yesterday and today, and thoroughly enjoyed them both. We're kind of baffled why her parents thought it was terrible. Whatever, I didn't have a lot of faith in their movie opinions, now I know for sure.

On an unrelated note, we both used our MoviePass cards for the first time. Gonna have to see a bunch of movies I wouldn't have otherwise bothered to, since they are essentially free.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2017 20:47 by Disgustipater.

More
30 Sep 2017 22:02 #255072 by jay718

Disgustipater wrote: On an unrelated note, we both used our MoviePass cards for the first time. Gonna have to see a bunch of movies I wouldn't have otherwise bothered to, since they are essentially free.

So this thing really works? And two people can go to the same movie using the app/card thingy? My friends have been talking this up and i sort of assumed that it was too good to be true...

More
30 Sep 2017 22:12 - 30 Sep 2017 22:15 #255073 by Disgustipater
Yeah, it works. Any theater that accepts debit cards. But each person has to have a separate card/account. Because the card only loads the individual ticket amount onto it at the time, you have to give them one card to swipe, then the second card to swipe to cover the rest, like using multiple low value gift cards, so it's kind of clunky with multiple tickets, but it's not a big deal. When the first card didn't cover the whole amount, he assumed it was a gift card and asked me if I wanted him to throw it away for me. I wonder if in the future they will offer an account for two people. But for now, one card, one ticket, every 24 hours.

They are pretty open about selling your info, but since I didn't use a Facebook account to sign up, I don't care if they know what movies I see.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2017 22:15 by Disgustipater.

More
01 Oct 2017 10:33 #255076 by Black Barney
I made a third attempt to get through the original Blade Runner and once again I fell completely asleep after not very long. At this point I think it must be the soundtrack. I love the director, the subject matter and the visuals so it has to be the soundtrack. It wrecks me.

Anyone see the new Lego movie yet? I think I'm going to skip this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys

More
01 Oct 2017 11:02 #255077 by hotseatgames
Surely Barney has broken some sort of law, mentioning a Lego movie in the same post as Blade Runner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney

More
01 Oct 2017 11:15 #255078 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: I made a third attempt to get through the original Blade Runner and once again I fell completely asleep after not very long. At this point I think it must be the soundtrack. I love the director, the subject matter and the visuals so it has to be the soundtrack. It wrecks me.

I watched the original the other day (hadn't seen it in about 25 years), and yeah, it is a bit slow, and that music is hypnotic. The pacing hearkens back somewhat to 70's epics, but there isn't a ton of plot, so I think it feels a little bit longer than it is. But it's still awesome. I'm hearing the sequel might be even better. Trying to temper expectations, though, but in terms of plot, it's possible that the new one, even though it's longer (nearly 3 hours, I think), holds its pace a little better, overall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.824 seconds