October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
30 Oct 2017 21:46 - 30 Oct 2017 21:47 #256646 by Michael Barnes
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 30 Oct 2017 21:47 by Michael Barnes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2017 22:32 #256648 by Jackwraith
Frohike's right.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, ufe20

More
30 Oct 2017 23:54 #256654 by hotseatgames
I finished season 2 tonight. I really enjoyed it, perhaps even more than season 1; I think it was more complex, with each episode doing a mini-GoT approach of 3 threads going at once.

More
31 Oct 2017 09:15 #256665 by Cranberries

Michael Barnes wrote: I thought I tagged it, sorry if I ruined anyone's life.

Barney, you should read the spoiler.

\

You are forgiven.

More
31 Oct 2017 09:43 #256675 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Eight episodes into Stranger Tropes, and it's clear that it's possibly the most lazy, cynical warmed over TV show currently showing. Everything in this show is cut from something else, then taped together like crayon scrawled letter paper on the walls of Joyce's cabin. I'm at the point where I'm even second-guessing the stuff I enjoy in the show (like the metaphor/analogy banter) because I'm guessing it's just ripped from an 80's movie I didn't see.

But hey, look! We did an Aliens bit with the MOTHERFUCKING DUDE FROM ALIENS.

If someone wants to make the case that this scrap-book collection of scenes is brilliant in some Matisse kind of way, then by all means have at it. It's comfort food for Gen-X; entertaining, even enjoyable, but utterly hollow and devoid of any nourishment. I look forward to season 3 where Joyce makes a mountain on the dining table out of mashed potato.

And yes, Dig Dug had only a three-digit high score table, confirmed by Youtube video of the arcade machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, sornars, Rafael Silva

More
31 Oct 2017 09:50 - 31 Oct 2017 10:05 #256677 by Mr. White
Dude, but Sean Astin...looking at treasure maps!
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 10:05 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, JEM

More
31 Oct 2017 10:07 #256682 by Matt Thrower
Currently watching The Handmaid's Tale - or at least, trying to. In the age of Weinstein and Trump, ISIS and (as I learned the other day) no legal lower age for marriage in about half of America, it feels way too close to the bone to be enjoyable. Brilliantly constructed, well acted and full of tension, sure, but I tend to pick TV drama for escapism, not for documentary.

Before that I watched American Gods, which I thought was brilliant. Ian McShane was just magnetic, and the guy playing the leprechaun even more so. Totally compelled by every scene with either of them and the ones with both - particularly the bar fight in the first episode - were among the best TV I've ever seen.

I haven't read either book, and I was very disappointed to find that both of them deviated from the script largely so they could make an open-ended series that can rumble on and turn dollars for as long as people watch it. I hate, hate, hate that about these never-ending serials: it ruins them all in the end, ensuring they go not with a bang but a whimper, just as soon as audiences are beginning to grow tired. I don't feel like watching the second season of either when they arrive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Nodens

More
31 Oct 2017 10:18 #256687 by SuperflyPete
I watch perhaps 200 hours of TV annually. This year an exception was made: we watched 2 seasons of Slasher, and that is one damned entertaining show.

And now I’m watching Stranger Things 2 mostly so I can be more socially aware of pop culture shit. I’m starting to wonder how people got so caught up...the show is good but not transcendent. I think a lot of nerd nostalgia is driving the ratings.

More
31 Oct 2017 10:25 - 31 Oct 2017 10:25 #256690 by Mr. White
To be honest, I plan on watching ST2, but am fully aware that they are showing me something I already liked. But I happen to enjoy the sort of tales the series presents. From what I have heard though season 2 is far too much on the nose and I hope it doesn't sour the experience.

Haven't watched American Gods, but my dad gave me the book. Is it a good one?
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 10:25 by Mr. White.

More
31 Oct 2017 10:43 - 31 Oct 2017 10:46 #256693 by the_jake_1973
So ST2 is Ready Player One in television form?

I liked the first season and it didn't seem to need a second one.

American Gods is a worthy show. The actors playing the various gods have not disappointed. I especially enjoyed Anansi.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 10:46 by the_jake_1973.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
31 Oct 2017 11:02 #256695 by Colorcrayons

JEM wrote: It's comfort food for Gen-X; entertaining, even enjoyable, but utterly hollow and devoid of any nourishment.

I enjoyed it, but definitely cannot disagree with this assertion. Its ameritrash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
31 Oct 2017 11:23 #256698 by Jackwraith
I didn't think anyone here was suggesting that Stranger Things was transcendent, were they? It's obviously a pastiche of 80s stuff because it's clearly intended to be that way. I don't think they were aiming much higher than that. It ain't The Wire. It ain't Breaking Bad. It's not even Game of Thrones or Ozark. It's just entertaining and, except for one episode, did a good job of maintaining the right atmosphere for a horror show, which is a pretty rare thing, in my experience.

I wish I didn't have to pay for yet another service to see The Handmaid's Tale. I really liked the book and the film from the 80s and I know everyone's been raving about it. But not working at the moment means keeping $ in my tight, little grasp. I've been catching up on Vikings, recently, since I'd never seen any of it and the new season is coming out at the end of November, I think. It's decent. They're condensing history quite a bit to make for a more interesting narrative, but I appreciate that they're delving into the religious question quite a bit and at least hitting on a lot of the key moments and topics that us history nerds can get excited about. I'm about halfway into season 3 now.

More
31 Oct 2017 12:31 #256704 by Michael Barnes
Well shit, here I was thinking that Stranger Things was the absolute pinnacle, the culmination of all that Western civilization and culture has produced. Guess I failed my saving throw against tawdry nostalgia. I'll have to scrap my three volume academic exegesis of season 1. I feel so hollow and empty, maybe I should watch This Is Us to reclaim my soul.

More
31 Oct 2017 12:36 #256705 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I'm enjoying it, but the naked plagiarism needs to be called out. "Here are your favourite moments from your childhood media" should not be lauded so highly.

Next we can address the inherent white supremacy of the series.

More
31 Oct 2017 12:51 #256706 by Space Ghost

JEM wrote: Next we can address the inherent white supremacy of the series.

Serious comment?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.635 seconds