October 09, 2023
2527 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
26 Oct 2017 18:01 #256436 by Erik Twice
I was unproductive and bored so I watched most of Rick and Morty.

I had fun watching it, but eh, it's a fairly flawed show. What bothers me most is not the animation or the general cynism, but, well, Rick himself. I believe he is a fairly flat character. His reaction to most events is to insult somenone, which gets old fairly quickly. He has some "good" aspects to punctuate his jerk behavour but, by nature, they are also defined by it. So I don't find to be actually very interesting or funny.

The series is also fairly bog standard on a narrative level despite what it might seem. None of the sci-fi concepts are actually meaningful to the plot or the interaction between characters. For example, the episode on pocket universes is simply a chase episode and the clone blues could be replaced by any other "I can't believe you were a jerk to me" motive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2017 18:06 #256437 by Gary Sax
I think the above re: Rick is exactly why it's so funny so many internet folks think they're all Rick. It's such a terrible, grim thing to say about yourself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
26 Oct 2017 18:33 #256439 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: I think the above re: Rick is exactly why it's so funny so many internet folks think they're all Rick. It's such a terrible, grim thing to say about yourself.

That's a great insight, and I think that it's possible that the internet has shaped many folks into a Rick mindset.

More
26 Oct 2017 22:50 #256447 by metalface13
If I didn't have a Blood Bowl league game tomorrow, I'd be watching Stranger Things. I agree the show is very heavy handed on the '80s nostalgia, but it's so well done and the attention to detail is ridiculous. I'm also not cool with all the merch, but then I like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings too and those things were merched the hell out. It's jut the nature of fandom these days ...

I enjoy most Rick and Morty episodes, mostly when they are spoofing on sci-fi tropes. I actually thought the most recent Council of Ricks episode from this season had some good story telling ... "just Mortys killin' Mortys." The one with the Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers knock off was pretty good.

Also watched two episodes of Fox's The Gifted which is a spin-off of the X-Men series, apparently it takes place a couple years after X:Men Last Stands ... it's um ... not the best, but kind of entertaining to see which C-list mutants they dragged out of the comics for this show.

More
27 Oct 2017 08:46 #256454 by Shellhead
I finished American Horror Story: Asylum, and it was good. Not great, because the show sometimes gets greedy and tries to cram too many stories together at once. But most of these stories got wrapped up in a satisfactory way. Since learning that the showrunners also did Glee, I had been expecting/dreading a musical number, but when one showed up in Asylum, it was glorious and appropriate. I am looking forward to season 3: Coven. It's interesting that fans of the show are all over the place about which season is the best.

More
27 Oct 2017 11:17 #256455 by the_jake_1973
We are watching the most recent AHS and it is not resonating with me. It may be because it is trying to be too topical. The other reason is that my first wife had delusional episodes akin to the female lead. For me, it is right at the bottom with Roanoke.

More
27 Oct 2017 11:40 #256456 by barrowdown
But... in what world is Roanoke worse than the boring slog that is Freak Show?

On the current season (without having watched it yet), my concern was roughly along your problem of trying to be too topical.

More
27 Oct 2017 13:51 #256458 by hotseatgames
Just watched episode 1 of season 2 of Stranger Things. I loved it!

More
27 Oct 2017 14:58 - 27 Oct 2017 15:01 #256463 by Michael Barnes
I just finished episode 2...so far so good!

Two off details:

1) virtually no arcade game at the time would let you put in MADMAX in the high scores. You could MAD or MAX, more likely AAA or ACE though.

2) Johnathan would have recognized Siouxsie Sioux in 1984. He's a with it kid.

Two hilarious moments:
1) Two Venkmans!
2) Bob's 45.

Favorite moment so far - montage of Halloween costume photos. So cute.

Missed musical opportunity- after the Halloween party, "Drive", The Cars.

Biggest mystery so far- why is one episode titled THE MIND FLAYER?
Last edit: 27 Oct 2017 15:01 by Michael Barnes.

More
27 Oct 2017 15:05 #256464 by the_jake_1973

barrowdown wrote: But... in what world is Roanoke worse than the boring slog that is Freak Show?

On the current season (without having watched it yet), my concern was roughly along your problem of trying to be too topical.

I enjoyed the characters much more in Freak Show than Roanoke. The Roanoke characters couldn't die fast enough. It also felt like the Roanoke story has been told before and better.

More
27 Oct 2017 15:27 #256465 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: I just finished episode 2...so far so good!
1) virtually no arcade game at the time would let you put in MADMAX in the high scores. You could MAD or MAX, more likely AAA or ACE though.

I caught that too. They could have written around that... she should have claimed score 1 AND 2.
MAD
MAX

More
27 Oct 2017 16:07 #256468 by Black Barney
I used to put GOD

So lame

More
27 Oct 2017 16:37 #256470 by barrowdown

the_jake_1973 wrote:

barrowdown wrote: But... in what world is Roanoke worse than the boring slog that is Freak Show?

I enjoyed the characters much more in Freak Show than Roanoke. The Roanoke characters couldn't die fast enough. It also felt like the Roanoke story has been told before and better.

I certainly agree that Roanoke's story has been told before, but I thought the structure of the season made it a more fun and thoughtful (at least as much as AHS can do) experience than a lot of AHS. Freak Show was just a painful slog for a lot of its run
Warning: Spoiler!

More
27 Oct 2017 16:44 #256472 by san il defanso

Black Barney wrote: I used to put GOD

So lame

"Huh, I would have thought God would be better at Dig-Dug."
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
27 Oct 2017 19:11 #256474 by Gregarius

hotseatgames wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I just finished episode 2...so far so good!

I caught that too. They could have written around that... she should have claimed score 1 AND 2.
MAD
MAX

Wow. I haven’t seen it yet, but that’s a pretty conspicuous detail to get wrong.

I know Stargate (sequel to Defender) let you enter really long names, but I can’t remember if the original did as well.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds