October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

CRUISE!

More
11 Dec 2008 11:27 #15248 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re:CRUISE!
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I take it Captain Obvious here is going to be piloting the boat.

I doubt I'll be anywhere near it.

Stephen Avery wrote:

Octavian would be pointing out the flaws in their variant rules.

You know me too well...

-MMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2008 11:44 #15250 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:CRUISE!
Octavian wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

I take it Captain Obvious here is going to be piloting the boat.

I doubt I'll be anywhere near it.

This is true. You wouldn't be on the ship.

You'd be under it ... keelhauling.

More
11 Dec 2008 12:32 - 11 Dec 2008 12:34 #15257 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:CRUISE!
Mr Skeletor wrote:Southern could be the cantancerous old man we all throw our shit at while he sleeps on deck. He dies of a heart attack 3/4 of the way through after we pay a chick to show him her tits.

Fuck - I think I've overdone the old guy thing a bit too much :huh: .... I would be the guy giving Steve "I run the plastic minis orphanage" Avery a good pasting in multiple minis battles - using the whole deck, and our pump action shotties for retiring units when they hit zero.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2008 12:34 by southernman.

More
11 Dec 2008 16:09 #15271 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:CRUISE!
The highlight is day 4 where we play a live action version of Red November.

More
11 Dec 2008 19:43 #15279 by Ryan B.
Replied by Ryan B. on topic Re:CRUISE!
Stephen Avery wrote:

My predictions for an AT Cruise run as following.

Ryan B would be leaning out the fore yelling "I'm king of the world!!"

I would make my lair in the skybar until the dance floor opened so I could embarass myself with drunk uncoordinated dancing.

Steve"SirCruisalot"Avery

Hey Steve,

Dude, I'm only king of my fantasy football league. (Actually, just the commish. But the commish IS wise! (LOL)

Actually, if I were single, there are only two things I would be involved in: the various port adventures and well, meeting people. :huh: I would definitely prefer the F:AT cruise over the BGG "cruise", however.

To Ubarose: You kinda asked so what do people do on a cruise? As I am married, not single but have been on a cruise, I will say: we grab some sun, take in some snorkeling or river rafting in port, or just hang out and eat. Lots and lots of ping pong or walking topside at night with the wife. Boardgames can be a part of that too, I guess. But definitely not a focal point. Why would they be? I'm on a cruise!

Cruising is kinda fun but its much more exciting to do "destination" exploring, IMO.

More
11 Dec 2008 22:50 #15286 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:CRUISE!
Concept Cruises like this usually have training courses and big names on them, but that's for things like Volleyball, or Real Estate or something like that where they provide a good opportunity to make contact with people in the field that you wouldn't usually be able to reach. The cruise venue serves as a nice escape, and fills an important niche since the training courses or clinics can only last six or eight hours or so before your brain/body just gives up for the day.

The average obsessive/compulsive boardgamer (i.e., the target market here) will play 18 hours a day to get their game count up, so the remainder of the ship's amenities just become an impediment to the game time. Add to that the most of the "celebrities" of boardgaming are available at every two-bit regional convention and don't provide terribly valuable expertise beyond what's already in the game box and you don't have a very compelling reason to spend the extra dollars.

It's not a BAD idea, it's just not a GREAT idea. Given the choice I'd hit a con instead. Or meet some buddies for a gaming weekend at a decent hotel somewhere.

By the way, you've all missed the third horse of the cruise apocalypse. It's icebergs, pirates, and rotavirus. More fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Sag.

More
12 Dec 2008 11:02 #15297 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:CRUISE!
you are all being enormous pussies. We shouldn't be on a cruise, we should go to Somalia and hijack a ship. We're supposed to be the bad guys, remember.

So to make up for all this thoughtcrime: 3 mandatory games of Nuclear War and continuous play of Spine of God over the weekend.

Shame on you!

More
12 Dec 2008 15:10 - 12 Dec 2008 15:11 #15308 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:CRUISE!
Jur wrote:

you are all being enormous pussies. We shouldn't be on a cruise, we should go to Somalia and hijack a ship. We're supposed to be the bad guys, remember.

So to make up for all this thoughtcrime: 3 mandatory games of Nuclear War and continuous play of Spine of God over the weekend.

Shame on you!

We would hijack the TOSser cruise and burn all meeples and cubes found - screw the ransom.

Followed by selective plank walking .... everyone selected.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2008 15:11 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds