October 09, 2023
2530 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BEER(s) have you been drinking?

More
06 May 2010 22:29 #62173 by hacksword
I'm slowly working my way through six-packs of Maudite and La Fin du Monde. Holy shit these are awesome beers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2010 11:46 #62237 by Gary Sax
They are very good, aren't they?

More
07 May 2010 11:56 #62247 by mjl1783
Sure, if you're a lady or a nancy boy.

ATTENTION: That was a joke, but as I'm not a nancy boy, I'm not putting a wink after it.

More
07 May 2010 16:48 #62291 by MattFantastic
Just had a Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Co, it's certifiably grand. Not my favorite, but a damn good time. Highly recommended.

More
07 May 2010 21:43 #62311 by madwookiee
Founder's Dirty Bastard. It's sex in a bottle.

More
10 May 2010 09:03 #62418 by Columbob
hacksword wrote:

I'm slowly working my way through six-packs of Maudite and La Fin du Monde. Holy shit these are awesome beers.

I recently tried their Don de Dieu, Raftsman (malt liqueur), and Noire de Chambly (not my favourite dark), I think my favourite Unibroue remains Trois Pistoles. The big bottles (750ml) are pretty nice for sharing or getting drunk.

More
10 May 2010 17:00 #62496 by Michael Barnes
We just started getting Founders here, I've been thinking about trying a couple of their varieties.

Had some good ones over the weekend...this awesome new hamburger joint opened up in Decatur called Farm Burger, it's all local/organic and they have a mighty good quinoa burger. Very unusual beer selection with several good taps, but I went with a can of Butternuts Pork Slap. It's my first experience with that brewery and I was hesitant because the beer gets bad reviews. But fuck 'em, it was a damn good beer. It's billed as a pale ale, but it barely tastes like one. It tastes like beer, like how you imagined beer would taste when you were a kid. It's a little sweet, a little malty, and it has just a good beer flavor. VERY sessionable, I could easily put away several of these on a hot day.

Also had a Hebrew Rye IPA, it had some kind of cutesy name but I can't remember what it was. Will Kenyon gave it to me. It's a "tribute" to Lenny Bruce, I guess. It was actually quite good, I really like a little rye in a extremely hoppy brew to round out the flavor. I had it after drinking a Gubna, so it tasted kind of small in comparison.

Digression- made some vegetarian fake fried shrimp and fake fish filets (you'd be amazed at what they have in the Chinese grocery store) using a batter made with Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Good pub-fried taste.

More
10 May 2010 17:36 #62501 by mjl1783
I grabbed a sixer of Porkslap yesterday. My band had a thing, and I didn't want to be loaded when it was time to play, but I wanted to drink some beers while we were waiting around for things to start. And that's exactly what the beer is meant to be; a session ale for when you want to guzzle some beers without getting trashed. It's a little on the bland side, but at 4.5% ABV, you're going to have an awful goddamn hard time finding an alternative that's as tasty.

Frankly, I found it a bit refreshing to drink a beer that doesn't go out of it's way to knock your balls off with hops, off-the-charts ABV, and motor-oil viscosity. I generally prefer beers like that, but they're so common now that they're getting to be as boring to me as the fizzy yellow macros are.

I also bought another six of Dale's as I was just reading somewhere about how it's the US' #1 pale or something like that, and I really wanted to try it again to see what the big friggin' yank is with it. I still don't. It's OK. It's a pretty straight-forward APA and there's nothing particularly remarkable or noteworthy that I can find about it. I'd have a hard time distinguishing it from SN or something similar in a blind taste test, which to me doesn't justify its premium-even-for-craft-beer price.

It must be the can everybody's so infatuated with.

More
10 May 2010 17:48 #62502 by Michael Barnes
I think Dale's is WAY better than Torpedo, and most other APAs. It has a good flavor, whic is something that the extreme IPAs often don't have. Their hops have a very grapefruit-ish flavor, and I find that it finishes smoother than something like a Torpedo.

But you should try Gubna. It's better than Dale's, but it does lean more to the IN YOUR FACE OMG BUTTFUCK HOPS style since it's an Imperial IPA.

I'm actually kind of getting worn out on the more "extreme" micros myself...sometimes I just want to drink a good tasting beer, you know...something that's not a task to accomplish. I mean, I love Ten Fidy, Stone IPA, Two Hearted, all that stuff but I'm not always into the force of those kinds of brews.

It's kind of why I like the Victory beers I've had so much...big, complex micro flavors, but they understand that drinkability is a huge asset. Even their really high ABV brews like Golden Monkey are pretty sessionable.

More
10 May 2010 19:22 #62514 by billyz
On the topic of Unibroue offerings, it's funny that my favorite also happens to be the least popular: La BOLDUC.

Very little hops, and very malty makes this lacy, grainy, bittersweet, ale a hard sell for every one of my beer loving pals-- fuck'em. That just means I don't have to share.

More
10 May 2010 19:52 #62517 by ChristopherMD
Columbob wrote:

I think my favourite Unibroue remains Trois Pistoles. The big bottles (750ml) are pretty nice for sharing or getting drunk.

That's my favorite of theirs too.

More
10 May 2010 20:05 #62521 by KingPut
When the weather turns warm I turn to lighter beers like National Bohemian, Corona and Shiner Bock. But Friday night I had Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Brewer in Oregon. It was medium flavor ale not to hoppy closer to maybe a Sam Adams. It went down pretty nicely, I must say.

More
10 May 2010 20:10 #62522 by MattFantastic
Michael Barnes wrote:

Also had a Hebrew Rye IPA, it had some kind of cutesy name but I can't remember what it was. Will Kenyon gave it to me. It's a "tribute" to Lenny Bruce, I guess. It was actually quite good, I really like a little rye in a extremely hoppy brew to round out the flavor. I had it after drinking a Gubna, so it tasted kind of small in comparison.

I had one of those a few weeks ago. Kinda weird flavor but I liked it. Mostly though I just remember not expecting to be so kinda drunk at 3pm and my wife looking exasperated at me.

More
10 May 2010 22:13 #62532 by Michael Barnes
Ooh, I do not like Dead Guy. I had it on draft last year at Dragon Con and thought it was pretty good, I bought a six a couple of months ago and I couldn't stand it. That "Pac-Man" yeast they use gives all of their stuff a really, really heavy yeast taste that doesn't agree with me.

I went out and bought the Butternuts variety pack tonight...drinking one of their Snapperhead IPAs. What a goofy beer. It's definitely to style, but it's as malty as it is hoppy. Yet it has that same I'll-be-damned drinkability that Pork Slap has. Very, very smooth and refreshing, but it has the big hops-forward bite and the bitter follow-through. May check out the Moo Thunder milk stout after this one.

More
10 May 2010 22:29 #62534 by Merkles
KingPut wrote:

When the weather turns warm I turn to lighter beers like National Bohemian, Corona and Shiner Bock. But Friday night I had Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Brewer in Oregon. It was medium flavor ale not to hoppy closer to maybe a Sam Adams. It went down pretty nicely, I must say.

Shiner Bock---ah--the cheap beer of choice on tap when I was in Texas. Actually getting it in stores amid the corn now!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds