October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2735 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BEER(s) have you been drinking?

More
13 May 2010 21:26 #62922 by billyz
Pat II wrote:

Lots...no change that...Lots + 2...

Go Habs Go.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!

LORD STANLEY HERE WE COME!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2010 11:13 #62973 by Pat II
These playoffs have been really hard on my liver!

More
14 May 2010 11:17 - 14 May 2010 11:18 #62974 by Columbob
Mondial de la bière in a few weeks in Montréal, check out the list of beers:
Lots of liquid happiness

Here's the list.
Last edit: 14 May 2010 11:18 by Columbob.

More
14 May 2010 11:35 #62977 by Pat II
Columbob wrote:

Lots of liquid happiness

Here's the list.

This is a lot of fun. I'm going to try and go.

More
14 May 2010 17:31 #63025 by Johnny
Columbob wrote:

Lots of liquid happiness

Here's the list.

The list looks amazing until you get there and everything is $3 or $4 for a 4oz sample...

More
14 May 2010 21:34 #63075 by billyz
Johnny wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Lots of liquid happiness

Here's the list.

The list looks amazing until you get there and everything is $3 or $4 for a 4oz sample...

Which is why I've never attended- If I wanted to try a beer that badly I'd special order it.

More
17 May 2010 10:10 #63256 by Columbob
Johnny wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Lots of liquid happiness

Here's the list.

Which means you can go and try a dozen+ different beers in the same evening instead of 4-5 full ones.

More
17 May 2010 18:54 #63324 by Michael Barnes
Had a pretty decent porter at my new favorite restaraunt, Farm Burger...it's Breckinridge Vanilla Porter. Vanilla is a great way to describe it, because it's totally vanilla. Very unadorned. Which is kind of good, because it's an easy-drinking example of the style that doesn't go overboard on the smoke, wood, malt, coffee, or tobacco notes that some do.I didn't really taste much vanilla as in vanilla beans, but I enjoyed it- particularly with one of the joint's house-made all-natural Twinkies, which may be the best desert I have ever had. They are un-fucking-real. They do a whole food revision of the Hostess cupcake too, complete with the three little white icing curlicues but it's not as good.

More
17 May 2010 20:28 #63358 by billyz
Michael Barnes wrote:

Had a pretty decent porter at my new favorite restaraunt, Farm Burger...it's Breckinridge Vanilla Porter. Vanilla is a great way to describe it, because it's totally vanilla. Very unadorned. Which is kind of good, because it's an easy-drinking example of the style that doesn't go overboard on the smoke, wood, malt, coffee, or tobacco notes that some do.I didn't really taste much vanilla as in vanilla beans, but I enjoyed it- particularly with one of the joint's house-made all-natural Twinkies, which may be the best desert I have ever had. They are un-fucking-real. They do a whole food revision of the Hostess cupcake too, complete with the three little white icing curlicues but it's not as good.

WUUUUHHHHH! Home made, natural, Twinkies? Good beer? Okay. If I make it out to next year's Averyfest I definately have to go to Farm Burger.

More
17 May 2010 23:20 - 17 May 2010 23:23 #63377 by Michael Barnes
Dude, the place is fucking AWESOME. They have a farm in Athens, GA where they raise their own cattle and produce. I don't eat meat, but we took my mom there for Mother's Day and she said it was the best hamburger she had ever had. They do a veggie burger that's made with quinoa, it's not a fake meat thing at all. Which is a big plus, really, because it makes a nice base for something like argula/carmelized onion/sauteed mushroom/gruyere/grain mustard-my combo of choice. It's very complementary. They also do some classic southern food- boiled peanuts, chicken livers, greens, etc. They've got a ton of burger fixings too, and some very interesing choices like bone marrow and more to my taste, some very high-end cheeses.

Beer selection is great. Just a few choices, but they're perfectly matched to the cuisine. They've got a couple of very unexpected choices, like Famosa and the Butternuts varieties. They've also got Oberon on tap right now, which is one of my favorite summer beers.

Problem is, it's in the perimeter so Steve Avery won't go there. It was hard enough getting my OTP parents to go to a place that doesn't have a parking lot.
Last edit: 17 May 2010 23:23 by Michael Barnes.

More
17 May 2010 23:34 #63380 by jay718
Breckenridge Brewery is the shit. The missus' brother was living in Denver a while back and we went to the brewery there while visiting. The brewery is also home to the best bbq restaurant in town and the nicest staff you could ever meet from the barkeep/server to the brewers. We stayed waaay past closing time. Their special edition IPA is the best I've ever had. Tried to get it for the bar, but alas, they have no distribution in NY. Closest place I can find it is Pennsylvania, and there's just no way I could move enough to make it viable. I've been breaking down one of my distro guys though, so maybe one day... Vanilla porter sounds pretty interesting. We just swapped our porter out for Old Speckled Hen so I've been drinking quite a bit of that. Should sell a shit-ton during the World Cup.

More
20 May 2010 15:06 #63836 by Johnny
Columbob wrote:

Johnny wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Lots of liquid happiness

Here's the list.

Which means you can go and try a dozen+ different beers in the same evening instead of 4-5 full ones.

It's not the 4oz that's the problem, it's the $4 it cost.. That's equivalent to $12 for a full beer! Even the biggest ripoff bars don't charge that much for a pint of the good stuff.

More
20 May 2010 15:38 #63843 by Columbob
Johnny wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Johnny wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Lots of liquid happiness

Here's the list.

It's not the 4oz that's the problem, it's the $4 it cost.. That's equivalent to $12 for a full beer! Even the biggest ripoff bars don't charge that much for a pint of the good stuff.

Depends, I've seen private imports go for $20+.

Went to Montréal for a concert on Tuesday. Drank a pint at 3 Brasseurs, then went down St-Denis and stopped for a few libations in a couple of microbreweries/bars, L'amère à boire (about 10 ales and lagers brewed on site, their Cerna Hora pilsner is apparently legendary and I could understand why...you can try everything in 5 oz samples) and watched the first period of the second Habs breakdown at Saint-Bock (20 micros on tap from the house or other breweries and roughly 350 beers on the menu as well). Lots of good stuff! Then we go to the concert in Métropolis and all they have is Molson Ex, Dry, Coors Light, Heineken and Rick's Red, a little change for the worse unfortunately, even if they did have Johnny Walker black label.

More
20 May 2010 19:27 - 20 May 2010 19:28 #63866 by Not Sure
Columbob wrote:

Then we go to the concert in Métropolis and all they have is Molson Ex, Dry, Coors Light, Heineken and Rick's Red, a little change for the worse unfortunately, even if they did have Johnny Walker black label.

That's a sign to quit drinking beer and start drinking scotch. Unless they only have plastic cups for the floor. Yuk.

On topic, Pete's Wicked Ale has been the recent consumable here.
Last edit: 20 May 2010 19:28 by Not Sure.

More
20 May 2010 20:58 #63869 by madwookiee
Michael Barnes wrote:

I've seen this around - maybe I'll give it a go. The thought of vanilla beer just doesn't sound quite right.

Working my way through some Unibroues lately - Trois Pistoles has been the best but Maudite is damn tasty also.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.531 seconds