October 09, 2023
2717 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2877 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
13 Mar 2015 08:53 - 13 Mar 2015 08:53 #199412 by Columbob
I sucked, it wasn't my game and I always felt disoriented, couldn't find my way around that well. Didn't help when I played Jaws and he was so tall my enemies could swoop under my eyesight to blast me. Shite, those are almost 20 year old memories! Good times.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 08:53 by Columbob.
The topic has been locked.
More
13 Mar 2015 09:13 - 13 Mar 2015 09:15 #199417 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: I could adapt so easily to a quarter of a screen and was so much better at watching my friend's quarters and abusing that intelligence. So much fun :)

www.screencheatingshield.com

Also, there's Screen Cheat . An FPS game where everyone is invisible and the only way to kill them is to look at their part of the screen to see where they are.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 09:15 by Disgustipater.
More
14 Mar 2015 01:06 #199507 by hotseatgames
Wow, the difficulty really ramped up on Hotline Miami 2. Crazy amounts of dudes, huge levels.

Also made some real progress in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and got a cool Jaggi Switch Axe to go with my cool Jaggi armor. Still no King Frills though.
More
14 Mar 2015 19:56 #199522 by Pug
I've been playing Diablo 3 with my hardcore wizard on the PS4. I managed to finish a level 29 greater rift solo, but it was pretty stressful with all the potential one-shot ways to die... at least I managed to level up some gems. Still need to find a Furnace, but that seems unlikely. Back to farming on T6 rifts!
More
14 Mar 2015 22:08 #199525 by SebastianBludd

hotseatgames wrote: Wow, the difficulty really ramped up on Hotline Miami 2. Crazy amounts of dudes, huge levels.

I'm only 6-7 levels in and I've already looked around more (where you hold Shift to pan around further than you can normally see) in this game than I did in the entirety of the first installment. The levels are wicked so far. I routinely get shot from out of visual range and the level design has gotten sneakier where there are more obstacles next to doors so you can't constantly abuse the pop-in-pop-out strategy of luring enemies into a chokepoint. I don't like the music as much as in the first - I miss Sun Araw - but it's still good. I also have no idea WTF is going on with the plot and though I hope it comes together I have a suspicion that I'll be reading about what the ending means on wikipedia once I finish the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb
More
15 Mar 2015 00:45 #199530 by hotseatgames
Some of the tracks are absolutely better than the ones in the first game. It's crazy how these two games have completely owned in the soundtrack department. Shatter is the only game that can even come close to touching these guys. This music gets in my head and just sets up shop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb
More
16 Mar 2015 11:02 #199566 by Gary Sax
Playing Cities: Skyline. I definitely recommend it. It is EXACTLY what you think it is but the interface is nice and it looks good. Cities are big unilke the simcity 2013 flop.

The main noteworthy addition is districts. Districts are GREAT---basically you can organically paint areas of your city as "districts" and they can have different policies. So you can have the hippy part of town with free weed, or the ore mining part of town, or an economic development area with lower taxes than the rest of your city, etc.
More
16 Mar 2015 11:05 #199567 by Black Barney
Played six hours of DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION on the weekend. Xbox One had a free trial (40 gig!) where you could earn achievements and everything.

This was my first Dragon Age experience. Overall, I liked it. I like the character customization and the inventory system, finding loot and upgrading gear and such. The game is sort of glitchy and I got wall-stuck badly once and had to reset. I have it on normal difficulty and there was one fight early on that I just can't beat, it's a side-quest though so obviously I'm supposed to come back later. The cut-scene animations are a little sloppy but combat is ok and can be interesting sometimes. Really it's the questing and exploration that I really was digging. The worlds feel huge which is great. Like Skyrim-huge.

So here's the thing... it feels very much like a worst-of-both-worlds game. On the story and especially the combat side of things, Mass Effect does it better. Even in the most lop-sided combat situation imaginable, you can still eek out a win eventually using really sound tactics and cover. In Dragon Age, you're right in the frickin' open and can't get cover. So unless you just run around putting up barriers or whatever, you're cooked in really unbalanced situations. I'm just not into it.

And then on the exploration side and fantasy side, Skyrim does it better. You can traverse through the world better and more realistically. This part doesn't bother me as much to be honest. Other than the wall-glitch I hit, i was really enjoying walking around and exploring.

On the dialogue conversation side, Mass Effect does it best. But even Skyrim does it better than Dragon Age, in my opinion.

Still I liked playing it and would have kept going if the six hours wasn't up. Don't think I'll drop 40$ for it though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern
More
16 Mar 2015 11:16 #199569 by SuperflyPete
Been playing the shit out of Dishonored. Really neat game, and I don't particularly care for the kind of games that are heavily stealth-oriented.
More
16 Mar 2015 13:22 #199581 by Legomancer
I'm about 1/2way or more into Legend of Grimrock and it's okay but blah. Absolutely no soul or personality to it whatsoever, just go to the new level, do the new thing, fight monsters the cheesiest way possible. I'll finish it out, but it's painful having Baldur's Gate II waiting for this thing.
More
17 Mar 2015 20:48 #199655 by Legomancer
Had enough Legend of Grimrock. Just nothing there except irritating puzzles and boring combat.
More
17 Mar 2015 22:18 #199659 by hotseatgames
Still making my way through the brutal difficulty of Hotline Miami 2. This time around, the structure is more limiting since you are dependent on your character to define your abilities. This often results in weapon restrictions. There are a series of missions where you play as a soldier, and I just completed a very tough series of levels with the sniper rifle. This weapon is AWESOME and a ton of fun to use.
More
18 Mar 2015 04:22 #199665 by Sevej

Legomancer wrote: Had enough Legend of Grimrock. Just nothing there except irritating puzzles and boring combat.

Sadly, World of Xeen is still best in class for this kind of thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover
More
18 Mar 2015 07:00 #199668 by Legomancer

Sevej wrote:

Legomancer wrote: Had enough Legend of Grimrock. Just nothing there except irritating puzzles and boring combat.

Sadly, World of Xeen is still best in class for this kind of thing.

God, I loved the Xeen games.

I'm going to replay Ultima 7 (plus 7.5) and see if I can make it through to 9 this time.
More
18 Mar 2015 08:35 #199671 by iguanaDitty
Might & Magic X is pretty good if you like classic M&M like Xeen.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.135 seconds