October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2757 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
08 May 2015 11:52 #202063 by hotseatgames

iguanaDitty wrote: Hope you enjoy it, one of my favorite games. I found the play experience to be much better than 999. Also one of the very few games where I did not click ahead on the text because I liked one character's voice acting so much (the "host").

Still holding out hope that 999-3 will exist one day...

I'm only a little ways in, but yes I'm enjoying it. The 3D is impressive and the interface is much improved. It does seem a bit more artificial, with a safe being in every room as opposed to the more organic puzzles of the first game.
The topic has been locked.
More
08 May 2015 18:18 #202109 by repoman

KingPut wrote: Empire of the Sun is the #1 game on my want to buy but will never play because of finding an opponent and time list.

Next time we meet, Pete, we will play this game.
More
12 May 2015 07:44 #202277 by KingPut

repoman wrote:

KingPut wrote: Empire of the Sun is the #1 game on my want to buy but will never play because of finding an opponent and time list.

Next time we meet, Pete, we will play this game.

Sounds good. I'm having a lot of fun with Order of Battle: Pacific. The land battles are very similar to the Panzer General type games. The game really shines when hit the Carrier battles. The Battle of Coral Sea is a great nerve racking game trying to find the enemy carrier before they find the Lexington carrier group. I had to sacrifice a Battleship and take a hunch at where the Japanese carrier was to get a good hit on it. Even then my dive bombers were shot down like flies with only 1 hit on the carrier. Luckily, my torpedo bombers crippled the enemy carrier. The Japanese found the Lexington and did modest damage. I'm just hoping I can finish off the Susuko before they make another run at the Lexington.
More
15 May 2015 19:06 #202537 by stoic

We had time for one last game before my son's crunch time for exams. He chose Fortress America. We usually play this game once a year. I bought it for $2.95 at a thrift store--and, of course, little did I know at the time that it would be worth every penny and more--I even lucked into the edition with Saddam on the box cover. By the way, if I could purchase a poster of the box art, I'd frame it and hang it on the wall. My son played AMERICA (can you say: WOLVERINES!) and I played the OPFOR. Though my initial push on three Commie fronts seemed successful at first, the dice weren't rolling my way. A combination of America's Partisan Forces, Satellite Lasers of Death, and Detroit's ability to manufacturer hover tanks ended up taking me out. My son crowed wildly with a victory cry and then I told him to go to his room to study.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
More
16 May 2015 21:51 #202567 by Black Barney
Whos' the woman with the kurishnecough on the cover? That game is ridiculous
More
16 May 2015 22:59 #202572 by stoic

Black Barney wrote: Whos' the woman with the kurishnecough on the cover? That game is ridiculous

I posted this topic in the wrong thread, but, the artwork is awesome here and your question reminds me of this comedy gold about Fortress America. . It had me rolling on the floor....

boardgamegeek.com/thread/511304/fortress...anced-review-written
More
17 May 2015 09:35 #202580 by hotseatgames

Black Barney wrote: Whos' the woman with the kurishnecough on the cover? That game is ridiculous

Kalashnikov
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stoic
More
17 May 2015 14:31 #202582 by jeb
Meanwhile, in video games, I've been playing DIABLO 3: REAPER OF SOULS on the PS4. This game is polished to a glossy sheen. I should be leveling my Demon Hunter (~9 or so) but playing with my Lvl 70 Witch Doctor is just too much fun in Adventure mode (Torment I). I am pretty tricked out, having scored a Manajuma's Carving Knife off the Mystery Shoppe. But I am still rocking a Lvl 53 Homunculus offhand because it poops out a Zombie Dog every two seconds. I can't beat that value with any of the Lvl 70 mojos I have been picking up. This means I don't have spend a skill on Zombie Dogs, but can still use them for Sacrifice. It almost feels unfair.

Blizzard did a great job making the non-campaign stuff so good. There are bounties, paragon levels, rifts, greater rifts, &c. It's better than the campaign in a lot of ways.
More
17 May 2015 15:36 #202586 by hotseatgames
I often think about firing up the PS4 to play some more Diablo 3. Then I never get to it. :/
More
25 May 2015 09:25 #202899 by Black Barney
Downloaded the free trial for LIFE IS STRANGE on the Xbox One. I haven't played a new game in almost a year and I forgot how much fun it is discovering something new. It's an adventure game where your this young photography student (female) in some fancy academy school and you're dealing with all the things girls do (prettier, richer girls treating you like garbage, shy low-confidence friends, um...murder?), and as it happens you can reverse time briefly. Which is great when you get an answer wrong in class.

Anyway, games aren't like they used to be. The music is fantastic and this isn't a fancy game or anything. The clothing some of these girls are wearing to school is insanely revealing (there's this one cheerleader...), so it was just a pretty unique experience.

Then I went back to playing Magic 2015. The completionist in me has been shackled to this game cuz there is this one persona and title that refuse to unlock. I've decided to stop playing online matches and will just playing against the AI for a bit to improve my ranking before retiring the game to play something new....until Magic Duels: Origins comes out in a few weeks :)

Anxious to see how it responds to Hearthstone's model.
More
25 May 2015 17:24 - 26 May 2015 17:59 #202918 by Erik Twice
We have such different tastes, Barney! I found Life is Strange almost offensive in its dullness, if simply because it has like 5 minutes of gameplay interspersed within a feature-lenght movie that doesn't even manage to fully introduce its characters.

What I like, though is Wizardry 8, which is the last Western release of the series that invented the genre. And it's very good! My issue with roleplaying games and dungeon crawlers is that most of the enemies are a bore, you simply attack, attack and heal up when neccessary. Well, not so in Wizardry 8, here even a mob of slimes or bandits is a huge threat and you need some serious tactics to win.

You have a lot of status effects at your disposal, you can paralyze an enemy, put a whole group to sleep, scare them off in area...The best option is never obvious and subtly changes turn by turn, it's probably the deepest combat system I've ever seen in its genre. There's also a very interesting dilemma: Magic is Pseudo-vancian so you really need to conserve spells but you also need to conserve health and both goals are at odds with each other because the less magic you use, the more damage you will take and viceversa so every battle is a hair-puller.

This could make the game seem incredibly serious but it's actually comedic! Enemies and player characters are hammy and clichés are intentionally played straight, making you laugh simply because it's all a little bit ridiculous. Just the opening video is clearly tongue in cheeck and I love that.

It may seem dumb to say it, but it does feel like a very combat heavy roleplaying campaign and that's a very good thing.
Last edit: 26 May 2015 17:59 by Erik Twice.
More
27 May 2015 10:06 #203005 by Black Barney
So KING'S QUEST is getting a reb00t to consoles. These old Sierra games have a really special place for me but I admit I'm not sure how I feel about these reboots. I mean I'm not against them making them (the art looks really nice), but I don't know how I'll feel about playing them.

First of all, it was a text-heavy game. How will that work on consoles? I remember King's Quest being so god-damn hard, it was nuts. Did anyone else have trouble getting off the bridge across the moat in the very beginning of the game? It was SO hard to cross that bridge.

Anyway, I bought the Resident Evil 4 remake, I bought the Another World remake and really enjoyed both. I skipped the latest Resident Evil 1 remake (I sort of regret it), but maybe I'll try this, I dunno. What would be kind of cool is if this starts off a big trend of rebooting the old Sierra adventure games. I LOVED the Space Quest series and the Police Quest series were the first video game I ever felt actual freedom in.

And of course there was the most ultimate one of them all, Hero's Quest I: So You Want to Be a Hero? Which I think would make my top ten games of all time maybe.

Anyway, if anyone picks up the King's Quest remake, let us know what you think.
More
27 May 2015 12:19 #203020 by jeb
Man, fuck KING'S QUEST IV--I think that was the one where they wanted you to throw a golden ball into a pond. Apparently this happens in some fairy tale? I am a well-read motherfucker and I don't recall reading about that. Wasted hours and hours on that game just trying to figure out what to do. This reboot will die like a dog in the modern gaming world unless they fix shit like that. No one's riding penny farthings anymore either, nostalgia as a commericial force isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Guys, someone steal Diablo 3 from me. I miss my children.
More
02 Jun 2015 14:27 #203266 by Black Barney
Anyone try MASSIVE CHALICE yet? Turn-based strategy, looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to trying it out.

Reviews on the WITCHER 3 are really strong. I love that there is a deck-building game within the game that you can play. Love that stuff
More
03 Jun 2015 03:07 - 03 Jun 2015 03:07 #203303 by Erik Twice

Black Barney wrote: I love that there is a deck-building game within the game that you can play. Love that stuff

Weirdly enough, it's a 2 player version of Condottiere, the boardgame. And I don't mean that in a "the game reminds me of" angle but in a "it's pretty much plagiarism" one!
Last edit: 03 Jun 2015 03:07 by Erik Twice.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.885 seconds