October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
05 Jun 2018 15:40 #274754 by Black Barney
Hey so with Hereditary coming out this weekend, it's again a fun time to talk about horror films. This one sounds like it's going to be awesome and it looks really well done. It might be the same type of uncomfort as The VVitch which I'd be totally fine with.

I thought of Barnes recently because I saw that Suspiria is getting a remake which looks very creepy. The trailer is out and everything. I think I remember Barnes being a big fun of the original.

Also, there's something called The Nun as well which people are really looking forward to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2018 16:26 #274760 by ChristopherMD
I Kill Giants - A young girl hunts and kills giants to escape her problems at home. Movie was probably better than I'll give it credit for as I was expecting something different. The main kid actress was great and really sold the character. Special Effects were fine too.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Jun 2018 00:39 #274793 by Michael Barnes
I thought of Barnes recently because I saw that Suspiria is getting a remake which looks very creepy. The trailer is out and everything. I think I remember Barnes being a big fun of the original.

I thought the new trailer was awesome. Which is........shocking.

Suspiria is a singular masterpiece. It is just about as auteur as it gets- there are so many idiosyncracies and one-of-a-kind moments that a remake seems like pure folly. There simply is no way to revisit, reboot, or reframe it’s Technicolor fairy tale atmosphere. There is one sequence in particular that I think is one of the very best horror moments of all time- but oddly, it’s not a moment folks talk about much (hint- “she’s behind the curtain”). There are also subtleties in every element- the Deco architecture with its seemingly off angles for example. Only Dario Argento could have made that film, and only in 1977, and only with Jessica Harper.

And of course, the Goblin music. It’s mixed WAY TOO LOUD. If you see it properly in a theater, it’s so jarring and unnerving...there is a relentlessly brutal sensibility about the music...and it flies in the face of the tiresome ambiguity that you find in a lot of horror films- it literally screams WITCH at you.

So the new film has music by Thom Yorke (WTF) and Dakota Johnson instead of Jessica Harper (double WTF). And it’s directed by the guy that did Call Me By Your Name (triple WTF). And it’s not techicolor (quadruple WTF).

But it looks -perfect-.

I’ve maybe watched the original 40-45 times and there are moments that hit exactly the right notes figuratively and literally. The slightly off angles are even there. The surreal, sublimated MALICE is there. The -awkardness- is there. Fucking Tilda Swinton (whom I love) is there.

It blew me away not because it looks like a remake, but it looks like a film made by people that wanted to make a film in the spirit of Suspiria that honors it and celebrates it without duplicating it or replacing it.

Very excited. I’m interested to see if it picks up some mainstream attention due to Call Me By Your Name.

More
06 Jun 2018 10:25 #274806 by Shellhead
I have only seen Suspiria once, but it was unforgettable. I just took a look at the trailer for the new one, and was surprised by the subdued colors. In all other respects, it seems to have captured the essence of the original, right down to a certain '70s style for the appearance of the characters. I don't have speakers on my work computer, so I could only imagine the music.

More
06 Jun 2018 15:11 #274840 by Erik Twice

ChristopherMD wrote: I Kill Giants - A young girl hunts and kills giants to escape her problems at home. Movie was probably better than I'll give it credit for as I was expecting something different. The main kid actress was great and really sold the character. Special Effects were fine too.

I remember a friend of mine had the comic book and I gave it a whirl though it never grabbed me.

More
06 Jun 2018 16:59 #274862 by Jackwraith
Finally saw Lady Bird and am mildly disappointed that I didn't heed the advice of practically everyone I know who's seen it: that it was a nicely written coming-of-age story, but still just your average coming-of-age story. Because they were exactly right. "I don't like Sacramento so I'm going to fight everything about it, but when I finally leave, I realize I love the podunk town that held all my formative experiences. The End." Saorise Ronan, Laurie Metcalf, and Tracy Letts were all excellent in their roles, but it it doesn't change the fact that this is essentially a more heartfelt version of Superbad, complete with kids who seem strangely uneducated about basic stuff (the kind that both of my teenagers are extremely conscious of) so they can have their moments of discovery.

More
06 Jun 2018 19:11 #274875 by Black Barney
Soooo... best movie of the year?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
06 Jun 2018 20:01 #274877 by hotseatgames
Just watched Blade Runner 2049 for the second time. It’s as awesome as I recall. Just a gorgeous film.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons, charlest

More
07 Jun 2018 08:08 #274893 by Jackwraith
And I agree with most of the reactions here about The Post. It's a political thriller and that's all well and good, but the sentimentality around Kay Graham got a bit trying. Streep was overdoing the "confused old lady" bit to the point of annoyance, when pensiveness under pressure would have been just as effective and offered even more opportunity for sympathetic audience response. Also, why I understand the notion of highlighting Graham's unique place in the publishing world at the time, the parade past the block of women outside the Supreme Court was just a bit OTT. The best moment of the film was probably Bagdikian (Bob Odenkirk) walking away from The Post's lawyer, intent on publishing, until the reality of what the lawyer is saying sinks in, but overall the pace of the film was typical latter-day Spielberg: some tension, but mostly a constant awareness that everything is going to be just fine, historical awareness or no.

More
08 Jun 2018 06:21 - 08 Jun 2018 06:41 #274964 by Colorcrayons
In this day and age, I increasingly seek ever more extreme forms of egress.

Which is why I like to watch Buckaroo Bonzai every several years or so, to get my head on straight.

Each time I view it, I appreciate it more and more. New things pop out, because of how obtuse and opaque it is.

You're just thrown into the middle of this tale. No backstory. The movie just assumes that you know all of that already.

In fact, the entire movie is just one huge... middle.

Don't worry, he'll "tell you later." Oh wait, he won't because this movie is just a 'middle'. XD

Even at the 'end' your treated to the best end credit sequence ever filmed by mankind. With music that haunts you for years whenever you might hit that same rhythmic walking stride Peter Weller and his compatriots take.

Not to mention the large amount of actors who are known nowadays as fine examples of their craft, participating in this odd jaunt through ridiculousness.

Logan rightfully gets a lot of credit for being the best superhero movie. Though I posit Buckaroo Bonzai, on a vastly different yet equal level, deserves that title as well.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 06:41 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, Cranberries, hotseatgames

More
09 Jun 2018 03:20 #275042 by Colorcrayons

hotseatgames wrote: Just watched Blade Runner 2049 for the second time. It’s as awesome as I recall. Just a gorgeous film.

I just saw it for the first time tonight on HBO.

The pacing is much better than the original, I believe.

The tone and style, seemed like a slightly updated, and only slightly less darker in light.

Very good. I'm sad I missed it in theaters. Very worthy of the praise I saw heaped upon it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
09 Jun 2018 10:01 #275048 by Shellhead

Colorcrayons wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Just watched Blade Runner 2049 for the second time. It’s as awesome as I recall. Just a gorgeous film.

I just saw it for the first time tonight on HBO.

The pacing is much better than the original, I believe.

The tone and style, seemed like a slightly updated, and only slightly less darker in light.

Very good. I'm sad I missed it in theaters. Very worthy of the praise I saw heaped upon it.

I was skeptical when I went into the theater, but Blade Runner 2049 blew me away. The pacing is definitely better than the original, and it is a very worthy successor. 2049 might even be better than the original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
09 Jun 2018 10:37 #275049 by Michael Barnes
Buckaroo Banzai is awesome. Like CC said, it just assumes you know all of this crazy backstory and just roll with it. Like when when they are all of a sudden getting ready to play their show- you are just expected to accept it because...well -of course-they are a band! I love that it is like the fifth or sixth movie in a series...but there isn’t anything else.

So much funny stuff- “Move and I’ll drink your blood!”

I just watched Paddington 2 with the kids. The first one was great, but this one is a family film masterpiece. It was just about perfect in every way- warm hearted, funny, and sophisticated. It never stoops to the kinds of crass humor most kid films drop down to, and it remains good natured throughout. Great performances all around, and it’s very well-written. It’s maybe even a little old fashioned despite some animated insets and more modern storytelling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Sagrilarus, hotseatgames

More
09 Jun 2018 11:32 #275051 by Black Barney
I think Paddington 2 is the best movie this year so far (and I’ve seen The Rider). Haven’t seen the first one and it didn’t matter. I couldn’t believe what a great movie that was

And yes BR2049 is much better than the original. When you’re on the fence about getting out to see a movie in theatres or waiting, always let cinematography make the decision

More
11 Jun 2018 08:45 - 11 Jun 2018 08:46 #275084 by charlest
Hereditary was great and very disturbing. Still honestly having a little trouble sleeping at night a couple of days later. I wouldn't be surprised to see Collette get some Oscar attention for this role. It was also nice seeing Gabriel Byrne in something.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2018 08:46 by charlest.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds