October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
05 Nov 2018 22:04 #285381 by Black Barney
Yeah even if Valkyrie isn’t particularly great, it’s certainly tense AF and works in that respect. I enjoyed it more the second time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2018 13:35 #285439 by Gregarius
I had a pretty good movie viewing weekend, although sadly nothing in the theater.

Sorry to Bother You - I really liked the first half of this movie, but then at some point it just goes completely off-the-walls crazy. Even though I still liked it, I didn't find it as funny. Bizarre and out there, sure, but just not funny. Probably still recommended, though.

Paddington 2 - I was a little worried because all of the reviews have universally praised this movie and I didn't want to have too high expectations. However, I had nothing to fear-- the critics are right and this is a complete delight. It has so much going on, yet never feels overstuffed. It has emotional depth, clever camera work, great actors, a compelling script, and wonderful action. I smiled the whole time. It reminded me of Wallace & Gromit's The Wrong Trousers, which I consider a perfect film.

Game Night - A very satisfying film. Again, I went in with low expectations, but it managed to have charm, wit, and comedy throughout. Very solid entertainment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Nov 2018 14:15 #285445 by Cranberries
I'm going to go see The Old Man and the Gun tonight, primarily to avoid election returns stress. I'll edit this message with my review if I don't flake out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
06 Nov 2018 15:49 #285454 by Black Barney
Can't wait to hear about that, Cran. I'm gonna play Black Ops IV until 11pm and then tune in to live Daily Show to see what's what.

Greg, Paddington2 is a triumph. There are so many great scenes but how you did you make out with tha underwater scene with the chick from Shape of Water when Paddington is trapped in the car? o...m....g...

More
11 Nov 2018 20:06 #285966 by hotseatgames
Watched an Indonesian action flick on Netflix, The Night Comes for Us. It's about a triad gang member who gets a conscience, and from that point on it's straight up action. I warn you, this movie is VIOLENT. I cringed and winced a lot. If you are not okay with fingers leaving hands, don't watch this. Otherwise, expect to be on the edge of your seat.

It is not as good as The Raid, which is now also on Netflix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, WadeMonnig

More
11 Nov 2018 21:06 - 11 Nov 2018 21:13 #285968 by Michael Barnes
Kubrick fans- the documentary Filmworker on Netflix is a must see. It’s an amazing profile of a young actor, Leon Vitali, that played in Barry Lyndon and pretty much gave up his career to work more or less as Kubrick’s right hand man. He worked his guts out doing an astonishing number of different tasks until Kubrick passed in 1999. Having read a lot about Kubrick I knew the gist of this story, but I don’t think anything has ever captured Vitali’s importance. This man’s aggregate skill set is likely unparallleled in cinema- acting, casting, editing, Foley, marketing, processing, photography, color timing, preservation...it’s kind of crazy. And it is pretty clear that he did a lot of the “human interaction”
stuff that Kubrick sometimes had trouble with such as coaching actors. But Vitali’s humility about the fact that he is kind of the unseen, unsung “second” to Kubrick is at once sad and uplifting- he truly loved the work and the films and came to see himself as the caretaker of Kubrick’s legacy.

There are some interesting little nuggets- like how the twins in The Shining were sort of his creation and how he can almost single-handedly take credit for R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket.

Wonderful documentary, a fresh take on Kubrick.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2018 21:13 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, ChristopherMD, mezike, Gregarius, WadeMonnig

More
12 Nov 2018 14:25 #286010 by Black Barney
Hey, no more suspension-of-disbelief-breaking cameos!!

More
12 Nov 2018 15:05 #286012 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: Hey, no more suspension-of-disbelief-breaking cameos!!

I believe he pre-recorded a few in preparation, so at least a couple more.

More
12 Nov 2018 15:20 #286014 by SuperflyPete
I saw “A Wrinkle In Time” and it was easily the worst movie I’ve seen in decades. Slow. Boring. Bad acting. That’s what happens when you try to distill a series into one film. For kids.

Then we saw a litany of good films which removed the taste of shit from my eyes.

Last night we binged the Maze Runner series. It was fun but the long, drawn out fights killed it for me. Literally 2 minutes per fistfight with a lot of angsty chatter in between.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, WadeMonnig

More
12 Nov 2018 15:38 #286017 by Black Barney
How many Maze Runner movies are there? I can barely get through one of them.

Yeah, I had a feeling Wrinkle in Time would be awful. I was on one of those short Disney cruises in April with Emily and it was playing for free and I was so happy Emily said, "no." We did water slides instead.

More
12 Nov 2018 16:05 #286020 by hotseatgames
I think there are 3 Maze Runner films. I have seen, and hated, all of them. Insipid teen drama nonsense.

More
12 Nov 2018 17:07 #286024 by SuperflyPete
I disagree. There wasn’t any teen drama at all. More like Lord of the Flies drama. Had all of actors been adults it would have been the same films. The first two were cool but the third was just so meh

More
12 Nov 2018 17:35 #286025 by Black Barney
Not enough love triangle

More
12 Nov 2018 20:26 #286033 by ChristopherMD
I really liked Alpha. Beautifully shot movie of an Ice Age hunter, left for dead by his party, surviving a long journey back to his tribe along with a wolf he befriends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
12 Nov 2018 20:45 #286035 by WadeMonnig

ChristopherMD wrote: I really liked Alpha. Beautifully shot movie of an Ice Age hunter, left for dead by his party, surviving a long journey back to his tribe along with a wolf he befriends.

Pro Tip: Don't download a version without subtitles.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.531 seconds