October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2756 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
02 Feb 2010 08:18 #54558 by OldHippy
I've been stuck in the middle of the fuckin Amazon for over a month now... slowing going crazy. Luckily one of my work mates is a fellow gamer and we've been playing lots of Tide of Iron & Neuroshima Hex. But I leave the jungle tommorrow and should be home on Friday.... What's waiting for me?

Runewars!!! - I missed my wife while I was gone but admittedly most of my dreams were about this.

Cosmic Incursion - looks cool and the price is right, and the rewards sound like a good idea

Carson City - Pre-ordered on a whim because I want a western themed game. I don't care that it's Euro-y, I like some Euro's.

Plus my Arkham dice and some sleeves for the Runewars fate deck, Brazil is nice, I've had some good jams, but man... I WANT MY NEW GAMES!

( and the ability to post without an iPhone )
The topic has been locked.
More
02 Feb 2010 09:03 #54561 by JoelCFC25
The only thing on the horizon is Washington's War, which I preordered early last year as I recall. That should charge and ship in the next couple weeks by the looks of things.

Other than that, I'm not buying any games. Instead I'm putzing around with a couple print-and-play titles in my spare time...Dune Express and Legend of Robin Hood.
More
02 Feb 2010 12:01 #54586 by Dr. Mabuse
JonJacob wrote:

Runewars!!!

If you ever need an extra body at the table PM me.
More
02 Feb 2010 12:51 #54595 by LilRed
Schweig! wrote:

Does Rakham still exist? I thought FFG took over all rights to AT-43 (not just distribution rights for North America).

Yes Rackham still exists. They have been taking over though by another company. Rackham as a company is one big fail but I can't help being in love with AT-43 and they made Rush n Crush too btw. I wish FFG did take the line over. FFG isn't fast either but they are at least a lot better than Rackham.

I think you are confusing Rackham with Take On You. The company that made Tannhauser. FFG basicly took over Tannhauser. The only game Take On You had ever produced apart from a boring gardening game.

It seems to be a recurring problem. The french make good ameritrash. Not very inventive but solid themes and mechanics mostly. Then the rulebooks are a mess (french to english translation is apparently very hard.) But the games are succesful anyway. Then these companies drown in their own success. They are too small to keep up and slowly lose their fanbase on account of not enough information and new products coming out.
More
02 Feb 2010 13:53 #54602 by Dogmatix
Nice assessment there L'Red. I keep wanting to like Tannhauser--I received most of the line in a rather lopsided trade with someone who "just wanted this crap out of their house." I'm hoping that the FFG rules reboot will do good things for the game...

Speaking of FFG, the games landing today include:

Runewars (because I just don't have enough coffin boxes in my house at the moment)

Campaign Manager (the new card game from the Twilight Struggle team)

Panzer General: Allied Assault (never played the XBLA game but this looked like fun and the kind of game my regular opponent would play)

Republic of Rome: Finally, the VG reprint has arrived.

Oh...and Compass Games' new edition of Yalu arrived yesterday. Sad part is, I have *no* idea or record of when--or even why--I preordered this bloody game. I'll certainly punch it and play it (solo likely) at some point, but it's not one I would have bought. Wonder what I *meant* to preorder but obviously failed to put in my card...
More
02 Feb 2010 14:32 #54606 by Almalik
New Games:

Thunderstone - fun game, I'll keep an eye out for the expansions

Ideology and Chinatown - Starlit Citadel had a Z-Man sale, haven't played either yet

Warhammer:Invasion - picked up it up second hand last night, looks like it should be fun.

I've been holding off on picking up Runewars but I'm guessing I'll fold at some point over the next couple of months, as responses on the net have been pretty positive (for some reason it's easier to spend the money a bunch of little games, rather than one big one).
More
02 Feb 2010 18:11 #54619 by stormseeker75
Almalik wrote:

(for some reason it's easier to spend the money a bunch of little games, rather than one big one).

Man, I hear that. To me, that is rationalized by saying that disliking 1 out of 4 new games is more acceptable than disliking 1 big purchase. For example, I got a big order about a month ago and if I don't like 1 of those, no big deal. It was only $20-$30. But if I buy Runewars and dislike it, then ouch. I'm already regretting my Space Hulk purchase.
More
02 Feb 2010 20:53 #54633 by ChristopherMD
stormseeker75 wrote:

I'm already regretting my Space Hulk purchase.

The good news is it probably has good resale value. The bad news is you don't know an awesome game when its right in front of you.
More
02 Feb 2010 23:32 #54637 by volnon
I am eagerly awaiting a copy of Chaos in the Old World. It is used, and I got it for less than 35 bucks. Sadly, it is a 3+ player game, and I rarely get 3 players. Still, I have heard good thing about this game.

By the way, I am NOT regretting my Space Hulk purchase. What up, Stormseeker?! Not Euro enough for you? ; )
More
03 Feb 2010 01:49 - 03 Feb 2010 01:53 #54642 by SleightOfHand12
I've finally chased down of the promotional Mega forms for Monsterpocalypse (well, all except for Mega Vorgax... if you have him, or know somebody who does, I will do all manner of savory or unsavory things for it) and now I am poor again. I have a complete collection of the regular monster and units for each faction in Series 1-3, and it was either take a lump of Christmas money and blow it on the promos or buy into the new factions started in Series 4. Frankly, I'm only keen on about half of the new factions and I want to wait for Series 5-6 to see how they're expanded before another big buy-in. In the meantime, I opted for bragging rights and extended replayability of what I've got by hunting for Mega monsters.

I also just started playing in a Rogue Trader game, and now I really want to grab some Banshees and a couple pots of Citadel paints; I haven't been making time to paint up my Eldar army and I'm starting to get the itch again.

EDIT: It's a long shot, but can anybody talk me into buying Giro Galoppo? It's on sale locally and I've been looking for a too-cute kids' game lately.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2010 01:53 by SleightOfHand12.
More
03 Feb 2010 01:55 #54643 by lestat2099
Lots!

I'm opening a game store, so there's lots of games I'm gonna buy, but the ones that go to the "collection" are:

Chaos in the Old World
Descent
Talisman Expansions
Cosmic Incursion
Warhammer LCG
Call of Cthulhu LCG
Heroscape new Master Set
and other Eurogames and some "mainstream" games

And more and more... also because my collection will become a "demo library" in the store. We also plan to "rent" some games (also from my collection)
More
03 Feb 2010 01:56 #54644 by Hex Sinister
I was so broke over the holidays and couldn't buy crap so I just treated myself to:

Runewars
Twilight Struggle Deluxe
Heroscape D&D

Paid $138 for the lot. Not too shabby.

I haven't even ripped the plastic off Runewars yet. I'm going to savor all of it, slowly. Yeah, so much for the "waiting for reviews" crap. I was in the store to pick up the other two games and had to ask if he got RW in yet. Of course he said they were already sold out. But wait! We have two left in that box over there! Put that mutherfucker on the counter.
More
03 Feb 2010 02:49 #54647 by KingPut
lestat2099 wrote:

Lots!
I'm opening a game store, so there's lots of games I'm gonna buy, but the ones that go to the "collection" are:
Chaos in the Old World
Descent
Talisman Expansions
Cosmic Incursion
Warhammer LCG
Call of Cthulhu LCG
Heroscape new Master Set
and other Eurogames and some "mainstream" games
And more and more... also because my collection will become a "demo library" in the store. We also plan to "rent" some games (also from my collection)

Keep us informed how things go at the store and how the board game rental business goes.
More
03 Feb 2010 10:43 #54653 by cybrshaman
Just got the deluxe edition of Twilight Struggle and the Shadow Hunters expansion. For a long time, the simple question, “what will get played?” has been the determining factor in my purchases. For the past couple of years I’ve had anywhere from 3 to 6 friends show up once a week for gaming, so I’ve purchased games that’ll accommodate a variable number of players. Shadow Hunters is the hands-down favorite light filler, so the expansion was an obvious choice. Prior to the current group, my gaming was limited to 2-player, light wargames (Battle Cry, Memoir, Hold The Line, et al.) with a friend who moved away around the time the group started. But two friends have expressed an interest in playing some of those 2-player titles, so now that I have that opportunity again, I decided to spring for a game I’d wanted to try for ages, but had no realistic expectation of actually PLAYING until now. And that line of thought leads directly to:

Upcoming purchases? Napoleon’s War (I’m a big fan of Hold The Line) and Horus Heresy (once in a very great while, I’ll splurge on something big and shiny just because I WANT it… 3 years ago, it was Starcraft). As for multi-player titles, I’m keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced used copy of Power Grid… I received one of the expansions as a gift last year, so it seems like the courteous thing to do. I played Power Grid once a few years ago and thought it was just OK, but who knows? The group might like it. But barring the appearance of something truly extraordinary (Runewars didn’t pique my interest, so FFG’s final Mystery Box, I’m lookin’ at you), I’m set for multi-player stuff for a good while. I have about a dozen titles that hit the table with varying degrees of frequency, with another 2 or 3 that are just waiting to be added into the rotation. It’s a good variety of themes, mechanics, play times and weights. No one in my weekly group seems bored with the available choices, so there’s no need to get greedy.
More
03 Feb 2010 11:06 #54655 by Aarontu
No boardgame purchases lately, but I recently purchased a couple game-books:

Flight from the Dark (Collector's edition) by Joe Dever
Heart of Ice by Dave Morris

Looking forward to playing through them.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.879 seconds