October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2757 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
09 Feb 2010 09:43 #55088 by NeonPeon
That sounds awesome generalpf. Definitely a great bang for the buck...Shit, I'm finding it for under $60 USD even ($64ish CAD?)
The topic has been locked.
More
09 Feb 2010 09:58 #55089 by ubarose
generalpf wrote:

stormseeker75 wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Thanks Uba -- now I can safely ignore it. Sounds like too much work for what it is.

Agreed. I think I can skip this one. My wallet thanks you. Now, what can I buy instead?

If you like Dominion already, why not just play that?

I think people here, who like Dominion, are interested in it because it has been described as Dominion with killing monsters. It's similar to if you like ice cream and fudge, then you will probably really like a hot fudge sundae.

I don't particularly care for Dominion, but everyone else I play with does, so I was hoping Thunderstone might be a game with something to offer all of us, but I was wrong.
More
09 Feb 2010 10:47 #55093 by generalpf
ubarose wrote:

generalpf wrote:

stormseeker75 wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Thanks Uba -- now I can safely ignore it. Sounds like too much work for what it is.

Agreed. I think I can skip this one. My wallet thanks you. Now, what can I buy instead?

If you like Dominion already, why not just play that?

I think people here, who like Dominion, are interested in it because it has been described as Dominion with killing monsters. It's similar to if you like ice cream and fudge, then you will probably really like a hot fudge sundae.

I don't particularly care for Dominion, but everyone else I play with does, so I was hoping Thunderstone might be a game with something to offer all of us, but I was wrong.

I get that, I was referring to the "what can I buy instead" remark.
More
09 Feb 2010 10:49 #55094 by generalpf
NeonPeon wrote:

That sounds awesome generalpf. Definitely a great bang for the buck...Shit, I'm finding it for under $60 USD even ($64ish CAD?)

Yeah that would be about $64 - $70 CAD, I was unable to find anywhere selling it cheaper, plus I got lots of helpful advice and a demo when I visited the GW store to buy it.

If you don't like the game you can always use the Orks and Space Marines in your Space Hulk games.
More
09 Feb 2010 11:51 - 09 Feb 2010 11:51 #55097 by Columbob
generalpf wrote:

NeonPeon wrote:

Yeah that would be about $64 - $70 CAD, I was unable to find anywhere selling it cheaper, plus I got lots of helpful advice and a demo when I visited the GW store to buy it.

If you don't like the game you can always use the Orks and Space Marines in your Space Hulk games.

My online go-to place for discounted GW products in Canada is Great Canadian Minis, they have Assault for $63 plus shipping (15 + 3 % of your order).

GCM - Assault on Black Reach

If they did Assault like they did their previous Marines vs. Tyranids intro box set, there's also a series of linked scenarios meant to ease you into the game, gradually introducing new concepts and units (all included in the box set of course).

You get a miniature version of the rulebook. The rules are complete, but you miss out on all the fluff and pictures of the big HC rulebook (which sells for a lot).
Last edit: 09 Feb 2010 11:51 by Columbob.
More
09 Feb 2010 13:30 #55110 by Bernie
I love the red measure sticks. Many reasons to love them. Great to beat your brother / friends with. Even better is that if you get serious about the game you need a real tape measure cause those sticks warp. You can't use them in competitive play as some real model players streached theirs to give them more movement / range... Of all the low things to do.

They really do hurt if someone jabs you with them too...

40k is fun, I really loved Fantasy Battle back in the day, and both are much better games than Warmachine for casual play, but I have gotten very tired of the version updates and following new model lines for armies i already have. I understand buisness pratice but it starts to wear thin. The other real isue is power creep. As more books get published within a edition the books get more and more powerfull. That gets real old real fast. Warmachine does a better job there with thier release model, but thier purchase model just went nuts with Mark II. It used to be, if you wanted a cheaper game, that is not really true any longer.
More
09 Feb 2010 14:12 #55116 by Columbob
Leon McNichol wrote:

I love the red measure sticks. Many reasons to love them. Great to beat your brother / friends with. Even better is that if you get serious about the game you need a real tape measure cause those sticks warp. You can't use them in competitive play as some real model players streached theirs to give them more movement / range... Of all the low things to do.

They really do hurt if someone jabs you with them too...

You can also whip them around, but they can break. My buddy was beating the air to Children of the Grave or something when that stick broke apart in three sections. He felt a bit cheap even if we laughed at it, especially as it wouldn't hold together when we tried to glue it back together. Turns out it was kind of a blessing as it split right on the inches, so after that we had a 9", 7" and 2" measuring sticks, quite useful in those tighter spots.
More
09 Feb 2010 14:16 #55117 by ubarose
generalpf wrote:

I get that, I was referring to the "what can I buy instead" remark.

Sorry. My bad. I need a nap.
More
09 Feb 2010 14:20 #55119 by generalpf
Columbob wrote:

If they did Assault like they did their previous Marines vs. Tyranids intro box set, there's also a series of linked scenarios meant to ease you into the game, gradually introducing new concepts and units (all included in the box set of course).

They didn't do that. The introductory guide advises you to stick with infantry for your first battle and then add in the Dreadnought and Deffkoptaz but it does not in any way supply a backstory or anything like that.

Are you referring to Battle for Macragge? It came with Tyranids?
More
10 Feb 2010 18:24 #55285 by metalface13
My World Cup 2010 Card Game arrived. Can't wait to give it a spin.
More
10 Feb 2010 19:07 #55288 by stormseeker75
My wife just surprised me with Mr. Jack in New York as a Valentine's Day present. I didn't buy it, but that counts.
More
10 Feb 2010 19:12 #55289 by moss_icon
Dogmatix wrote:

moss_icon wrote:

I bought "Roads to Stalingrad" which is a Spanish made game and a fairly fresh approach to wargaming. A reasonable amount of innovationa and a fun area movement + CDG system. the rulebook translation could have done with an English overview but the game itself is clever (if expensive) and well worth a look if you want an operational Eastern Front game with new ideas. the supply and combat systems are particularly original (to me at least).

combat works by drawing chits of different capabilities from a cup, you then carry them out in an order of your choosing. supply is on the board. you can only activate units within 3 areas of a supply token at which point the token is consumed. you can use a certain number of supply points during this activation to move / engage units. unique and smart!

Ok, this sounds intriguing...other than combining every wargaming fad/trend of the last 20 years into 1 game: area-impulse, card-driven, chit-pull, and supply point...

Are the cards in English?

yes, it's all in english - the manual isn't perfect but you can figure it out.
More
11 Feb 2010 09:58 #55315 by Columbob
generalpf wrote:

Columbob wrote:

They didn't do that. The introductory guide advises you to stick with infantry for your first battle and then add in the Dreadnought and Deffkoptaz but it does not in any way supply a backstory or anything like that.

That's the one. There were 10 termagants, 6 genestealers, 8 spore mines, 10 marines (including missile launcher, flamer and sergeant), a pilot model, some objective miniatures and plastic scenery depicting crashed shuttle bits.
More
11 Feb 2010 10:52 #55321 by mikoyan
I've been eying the new Axis and Allies Pacific game. It looks interesting but I'm not sure if it looks interesting enough for me to spring the 80 bucks for it as we don't play Axis and Allies all that much. I don't like playing with one of our gaming group folks as he tends to play every turn like it is his last and doesn't do any long range planning. This is great if you are playing against him but not so great if you're one of his allies. Plus, I'm not sure how much new stuff it brings to the party.
More
11 Feb 2010 11:05 #55322 by generalpf
Columbob wrote:

generalpf wrote:

Columbob wrote:

That's the one. There were 10 termagants, 6 genestealers, 8 spore mines, 10 marines (including missile launcher, flamer and sergeant), a pilot model, some objective miniatures and plastic scenery depicting crashed shuttle bits.

Damn, I'll have to find a copy of that somewhere. If it's priced like Assault on Black Reach it's a bargain.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds