October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2756 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
07 Feb 2010 00:11 #54980 by ubarose
Played Thunderstone and Adventurers today. Scratched Thunderstone off my list - gak! Moved Adventurers onto the "seriously considering" list because the Spawn really liked it.

Got Tokyo Train in a math trade. It's so totally cute! It comes in a tin about the size of my palm. It's a very silly partnership game. One partner has to give the other directions to rearrange cards into a certain pattern by waving his arms and calling out certain code words. I'm not sure if the words are actual Japanese words, or just gibberish that sound Japanese.
The topic has been locked.
More
07 Feb 2010 03:02 #54981 by Space Ghost
Uba -- can you comment on what made it a "gak"?
More
07 Feb 2010 07:46 #54985 by stormseeker75
I would like to know as well. I've been considering this one due to my wife's sheer infatuation with Dominion.
More
07 Feb 2010 08:04 #54987 by Matt Thrower
Now that I'm gainfully employed once again, I really must get a copy of TS deluxe. It is my favourite game after all.

I'm also tempted to pick up a copy of TotAN. I have my doubts about the standard game, to be honest, but the storytelling variant looks incredibly unique and with the baby coming up I could probably do with another solo game that has less setup effort and space than AH. Opinions appreciated on the variants and the setup time/space in case I'm wrong! Besides, my current offspring has demanded repeat readings of "Aladdin" of late and it's given me a taste of the theme.

Probably ought to get a copy of Attika too - I've played it so often on SBW that I kind of owe the designer some money.

I might pick up the Z-man edition of Kings & Things but I think I'll wait on majority opinion to see how it plays. I don't know what - if any - changes have been made to the original rules but like a lot of Tom Wham games it had some great ideas but could probably use some streamlining. I hope the keep the original Wham artwork too :)

Two wargames that are definitive buys for me this year if they keep to their release schedule are CoH: First Men In and What Price Glory. First Men In would be popping my C0H cherry: I've been waiting for the Normandy iteration of the system ever since the first game was released.
More
07 Feb 2010 21:22 - 07 Feb 2010 21:23 #55011 by mjl1783

Good to hear!

Yeah, get this: the guy I was going to trade all those game to wanted Arkham Horror and the Dunwhich expansion on top of what I'd already offered him. I pretty much told him to eat shit, then offered another guy C&C:A and CC:P. He took it, and was great about the whole deal.

The badness of the rulebook is really, really overstated. Granted: we haven't advanced past scenario A yet. But we're enjoying the hell out of that scenario, and as long as I introduced the rules in the same order as the rulebook, my wife essentially hasn't felt yet that it's too complicated. It shouldn't be a hard game to learn, even on your own.

I've got the second edition book, but so far, I don't see what's so bad about it either. The Panic rules could've been worded more cleary, and RR is wierd until you visualize it as being played out on a grid, but the rules are by no means the nightmare they've been made out to be.

Then again, I never thought MR's rules were that bad.

I might pick up the Z-man edition of Kings & Things but I think I'll wait on majority opinion to see how it plays.

See, I was all hot to trot for this edition, too, but I'm not so sure about it now. First of all, from the box shot we've gotten, it looks like they probably won't be keeping the original art. Second, when I asked Zev about it here a few months ago, I got the impression that it was still a big "maybe."

But even worse, according to Wham, he never got the royalties for the first Pegasus Spiele edition of K&T. Now, he made it sound like this was more WEG's fault than anyone else's, but it just doesn't seem right to pay for the game if the designer's getting dicked out of his money.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2010 21:23 by mjl1783.
More
08 Feb 2010 11:38 #55022 by Gary Sax
I got Arkham Horror for Power Grid in a BGG mathrade. Not too bad. I wasn't dying to play AH, but it's a coop game and I think my girlfriend will like that.
More
08 Feb 2010 13:48 #55032 by Dogmatix
moss_icon wrote:

I bought "Roads to Stalingrad" which is a Spanish made game and a fairly fresh approach to wargaming. A reasonable amount of innovationa and a fun area movement + CDG system. the rulebook translation could have done with an English overview but the game itself is clever (if expensive) and well worth a look if you want an operational Eastern Front game with new ideas. the supply and combat systems are particularly original (to me at least).

combat works by drawing chits of different capabilities from a cup, you then carry them out in an order of your choosing. supply is on the board. you can only activate units within 3 areas of a supply token at which point the token is consumed. you can use a certain number of supply points during this activation to move / engage units. unique and smart!

Ok, this sounds intriguing...other than combining every wargaming fad/trend of the last 20 years into 1 game: area-impulse, card-driven, chit-pull, and supply point...

Are the cards in English?
More
08 Feb 2010 16:08 #55052 by generalpf
I bought the 40K starter set Assault on Black Reach. I've assembled, glued, filed and primed the dudes, played it with my kid too. Will be playing it with a wargamer buddy tomorrow night.

Bought Through the Ages this weekend, played the basic game with the wife last night, good stuff.

Funny, I hadn't bought a game for months and then I bought two games in two weeks.
More
08 Feb 2010 16:45 #55057 by NeonPeon
generalpf wrote:

I bought the 40K starter set Assault on Black Reach. I've assembled, glued, filed and primed the dudes, played it with my kid too. Will be playing it with a wargamer buddy tomorrow night.

Hey this looks pretty cool...Is it just a single scenario? Do you know much about the replay value?
More
08 Feb 2010 20:42 #55071 by ubarose
Space Ghost wrote:

Uba -- can you comment on what made it a "gak"?

Dominion is a tedious, pointless shopping game, but it plays fast, and requires only a small portion of your attention to play - kind of like knitting, it gives you something to do with your hands while you socialize.

Thunderstone keeps the tedious shopping part, and then adds tedious 3rd grade arithmetic and wonky CCG style card interactions to slow the game down. They pretty much threw the baby out with the bath water.

I also think they really rushed Thuderstone to production to catch the Dominion craze, and it shows. They are on rules revision number 4 and the FAQ is about as long as the rules. I also felt like there are still artifacts from bits of the game they stripped out. Or maybe they are just there for the already planned expansions. The whole game feels unpolished and a little clunky. Plus, the graphic design is for shit. The icons are all dark colored circles on a dark background. The pictures are pretty, but the text and icons makes the cards look like pasted up prototypes.

You might like it if you like Dominion and like CCGs, and arguing over which card effect happens first, and enjoy watching people repeatedly figuring out stuff like:

(attack + weapons attack) - ((2-player light) x monster rank) plus or minus card effects... oops, wait that weapon can't be equipped, oh wait but let me figure this out again against the other monster, what's his health? I can't read it from here. No, wait his card effect is different... is this a battle effect or a dungeon effect? Oh never mind, I'll just go shopping.
More
08 Feb 2010 20:56 #55073 by Space Ghost
Thanks Uba -- now I can safely ignore it. Sounds like too much work for what it is.
More
08 Feb 2010 21:24 #55075 by Stormcow
FWIW, I will say that I like Dominion a lot and I agree with Uba's assessment of Thunderstone.
More
09 Feb 2010 07:34 #55082 by stormseeker75
Space Ghost wrote:

Thanks Uba -- now I can safely ignore it. Sounds like too much work for what it is.

Agreed. I think I can skip this one. My wallet thanks you. Now, what can I buy instead?
More
09 Feb 2010 09:13 #55085 by generalpf
NeonPeon wrote:

generalpf wrote:

Hey this looks pretty cool...Is it just a single scenario? Do you know much about the replay value?

It's two ~500 point armies -- Space Marines and Orks. It comes with a full copy of the 40K rules so you can play whatever kind of game you want. I've only played it once using kitchen table terrain, we'll see if it's got legs. I'm trying to gauge that for myself before I buy more 40K stuff.

At $90 CAD it's definitely a loss leader for them. You get a 5-model Space Marine Terminator Squad, a 10-model Space Marine Assault Squad, a Space Marine Commander, a Space Marine Dreadnought (counts as a vehicle), an Ork Warboss, a 5-model Ork Nobz Mob, a 20-model (!) Ork Boyz Mob, and 3 (count 'em, 3!) Deffcoptaz (counts as a jetbike). So you get a broad sampling of what 40K has to offer. You also get two measuring sticks, three blast/flame templates, some dice, an introductory guide and a rulebook.
More
09 Feb 2010 09:14 #55086 by generalpf
stormseeker75 wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Agreed. I think I can skip this one. My wallet thanks you. Now, what can I buy instead?

If you like Dominion already, why not just play that?
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.435 seconds