October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2757 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
03 Feb 2010 12:01 #54660 by Gary Sax
cybrshaman wrote:

Upcoming purchases? Napoleon’s War (I’m a big fan of Hold The Line) and Horus Heresy (once in a very great while, I’ll splurge on something big and shiny just because I WANT it… 3 years ago, it was Starcraft). As for multi-player titles, I’m keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced used copy of Power Grid… I received one of the expansions as a gift last year, so it seems like the courteous thing to do. I played Power Grid once a few years ago and thought it was just OK, but who knows? The group might like it. But barring the appearance of something truly extraordinary (Runewars didn’t pique my interest, so FFG’s final Mystery Box, I’m lookin’ at you), I’m set for multi-player stuff for a good while. I have about a dozen titles that hit the table with varying degrees of frequency, with another 2 or 3 that are just waiting to be added into the rotation. It’s a good variety of themes, mechanics, play times and weights. No one in my weekly group seems bored with the available choices, so there’s no need to get greedy.

I have a copy of Power Grid I'm looking to get rid of, played once and punched but in very good shape. Do you have anything you want to trade for it? It's on a math trade right now but you're probably safe since I haven't gotten anyone to trade for it in multiple tries.
The topic has been locked.
More
03 Feb 2010 12:24 #54662 by SleightOfHand12
Aarontu wrote:

No boardgame purchases lately, but I recently purchased a couple game-books:

Flight from the Dark (Collector's edition) by Joe Dever
Heart of Ice by Dave Morris

Looking forward to playing through them.

So good! Does the collector's edition of Flight from the Dark come with a ten-sided die? It makes it a whole lot easier to play through.
More
03 Feb 2010 12:35 #54663 by Not Sure
I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for Boards and Bits to get Cosmic Incursion in at their Washington warehouse.

At that point I'll order CI and Cutthroat Caverns: Deeper and Darker (CC has been a big hit with everyone I've played with, but I'm starting to get tired of the same encounters. One of my usual players is going to lose his shit if he sees Riddle Room again...)

I've been waffling with ordering VOC! based on a blog post (or something) from Uba and some other descriptions. It seems like the blind co-op drawing and stock-trading aspects would fill a weird hole in our group. B+B has it marked as a free-ship game, so it'd end up being about $17 net to throw it in on top of the other two. I'm going to read the rules on BGG while I watch the stock level of Incursion.

I'm also pondering Twilight Struggle Deluxe, but I just don't get that much play out of my 2nd edition, honestly. I think I'll have to wait on that. I really wish I were playing TS enough to justify it.

After a financial review later this month, I'm also probably going to hop on the P500 of "Warriors of Japan".
More
03 Feb 2010 12:41 #54666 by stormseeker75
Hahaha, I was waiting for those comments. It's a fun game and I enjoy it. I'm just not in awe of the chrome. It has plenty of theme and is a fun time, but I think I would have been happier if I had gotten it for less money.

Maybe it's really not Euro enough for me. That could very well be true. I won't disagree that I'm more Euro than AT.
More
03 Feb 2010 13:48 #54668 by Aarontu
SleightOfHand12 wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

No boardgame purchases lately, but I recently purchased a couple game-books:

Flight from the Dark (Collector's edition) by Joe Dever
Heart of Ice by Dave Morris

Looking forward to playing through them.

So good! Does the collector's edition of Flight from the Dark come with a ten-sided die? It makes it a whole lot easier to play through.

No die, still the number table in the back. Looks awesome, though. It has been heavily revised and is now 550 sections, plus Joe Dever's writing has gotten much better since he wrote the original.

I may post a little review here after I read it, since I bet a good number of AT fans have had some history with fighting fantasy or lone wolf.
More
03 Feb 2010 18:29 #54710 by ubarose
Not Sure wrote:

I've been waffling with ordering VOC! based on a blog post (or something) from Uba and some other descriptions. It seems like the blind co-op drawing and stock-trading aspects would fill a weird hole in our group. B+B has it marked as a free-ship game, so it'd end up being about $17 net to throw it in on top of the other two. I'm going to read the rules on BGG while I watch the stock level of Incursion.

VOC! is awesome. You have to play using the advanced rules. The introductory rules (or whatever they are called) are poo. But it's really hard to convince people to play it. The drawing aspect makes people think it's some kind of kiddie or party game. The trading and bidding part makes ATers think it's a dry Euro economic game. What it is, is a high interaction, backstabbing, mind fucking, negotiation game.
More
03 Feb 2010 18:40 #54711 by Notahandle
Not Sure wrote:
" I'm also probably going to hop on the P500 of "Warriors of Japan"."
Your comment prompted me to look at the GMT site again as I'd pre-ordered Sekigahara and I'm pleased to see that it's 'Made the Cut'. I clicked on a couple of the SneakPeeks links and discovered that all the ones going to TOS come up with an error; presumably they not only want all game info to be on their site, but don't want any outsiders pointing to it either!
More
03 Feb 2010 20:37 #54719 by Not Sure
ubarose wrote:

Not Sure wrote:

VOC! is awesome. You have to play using the advanced rules. The introductory rules (or whatever they are called) are poo. But it's really hard to convince people to play it. The drawing aspect makes people think it's some kind of kiddie or party game. The trading and bidding part makes ATers think it's a dry Euro economic game. What it is, is a high interaction, backstabbing, mind fucking, negotiation game.

Brilliant. That's exactly what I need, with slight spins of "serious game" and "party game" to sucker in the different elements in big mixed game nights. I don't have a whole lot of game snobs to contend with (I'm by far the worst), but some nights we have some "that looks hard" sort of folks. Some of them would be great negotiators if they could get past the roadblock of "new is weird". I'll ignore the basic rules and read the advanced ones before I pull the trigger. Work got in the way of my reading them earlier.
More
04 Feb 2010 11:47 #54759 by dan daly
After taking a year off from getting any new games, since November, I've picked up:

Cosmic Encounter
Railways of the World (the new edition of Railroad Tycoon)
Through the Ages

I enjoyed all of them, but Through the Ages has definitely been the biggest hit.
More
04 Feb 2010 12:29 #54763 by Mr. White
Welcome back, Dan Daly!
More
04 Feb 2010 12:39 #54765 by metalface13
I took the plunge last night and ordered The World Cup 2010 Card Game. I was hoping to be able to pick it up from the FLGS, but on BGG the designer said there was no interest from US distributors. So I ordered from the company's sight www.gamesfortheworld.co.uk . The game itself is cheap and so was shipping, it cost me less than $15.
More
04 Feb 2010 13:03 #54768 by dan daly
Jack Hooligan wrote:

Welcome back, Dan Daly!

Thanks Jack. It's been a year, a layoff, a new job, and a move since I've been on here with any regularity. The new job is going great and I'm back living near some great friends who are also into playing games- so life is good.
More
04 Feb 2010 14:13 #54771 by Mr. White
metalface13 wrote:

I took the plunge last night and ordered The World Cup 2010 Card Game. I was hoping to be able to pick it up from the FLGS, but on BGG the designer said there was no interest from US distributors. So I ordered from the company's sight www.gamesfortheworld.co.uk . The game itself is cheap and so was shipping, it cost me less than $15.

No US Distributor? Weak, but thanks for passing this info along.
More
04 Feb 2010 15:00 #54776 by metalface13
Jack Hooligan wrote:

No US Distributor? Weak, but thanks for passing this info along.

Yeah it is lame, but I imagine the game would be retailing for $15 anyways.
More
04 Feb 2010 17:29 #54796 by ubarose
I just bought Lord of the Rings The Confrontation Deluxe Edition because it was $17 including shipping at miniaturemarket . The Man has been kind of been wanting this for a while, and the Spawn has kind of outgrown The Hobbit game, and the price was good, so I got it for them. I don't know if I'll ever play it or not.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds