October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2756 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
04 Feb 2010 20:04 #54806 by Mr Skeletor
The confrontation is one of the most awesome short games there is. You should play it.

This year my purchases have been:

-Dungeon Lords
-Runewars
-Pegasis expansion (finally!)
-Ghost Stories + expansion.
The topic has been locked.
More
04 Feb 2010 20:51 #54811 by ubarose
Mr Skeletor wrote:

The confrontation is one of the most awesome short games there is. You should play it.

-Dungeon Lords
-Runewars

HA! So you ended up getting Runewars AND Ghost Stories.
More
04 Feb 2010 23:10 #54822 by Mr Skeletor
ubarose wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

-Dungeon Lords
-Runewars

HA! So you ended up getting Runewars AND Ghost Stories.

On the way home from my great Store adventure, another gamer rang me to tell me Runewars was in at another store and he was grabbing a copy, so I got him to get me a copy as well.
A few days later I was talking to Doug Adams about Ghost Stories and he offered to sell me his copy (with guardhouse and white moon) so I took it.
More
04 Feb 2010 23:20 #54823 by ubarose
Cool. Let me know what you think of White Moon.
More
05 Feb 2010 12:04 #54834 by stormseeker75
Metalface has convinced me to buy Pocket Battles. It's on its way to my house as we speak. I have no self control.

I also bought Liebe & Intrige for my wife as a Valentine's Day present. I'm hoping she will dig a girly game.
More
05 Feb 2010 13:04 #54846 by metalface13
stormseeker75 wrote:

Metalface has convinced me to buy Pocket Battles. It's on its way to my house as we speak. I have no self control.

I also bought Liebe & Intrige for my wife as a Valentine's Day present. I'm hoping she will dig a girly game.

Excellent choices on both parts! I got Liebe & Intrige for my wife for Christmas. She loves it.
More
05 Feb 2010 18:52 #54899 by stormseeker75
Good to hear that. It was mostly a blind purchase. The idea sounded good so hopefully it will hit a home run. I'm sure my mom and sisters will dig it too.
More
05 Feb 2010 19:04 #54903 by metalface13
stormseeker75 wrote:

Good to hear that. It was mostly a blind purchase. The idea sounded good so hopefully it will hit a home run. I'm sure my mom and sisters will dig it too.

It's a really simple game, and the Jane Austen styled theme really pulls in anybody who has read Pride and Prejudice. Both couples we've played this with have liked it.
More
05 Feb 2010 21:25 #54911 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I am searching for a couple of second-hand games for boards to use in PnP games and I came across an old half punched Games Workshop game from 1980 called "Apocalypse: The Game of Nuclear Devastation" for $3, which happened to fit my requirements for pieces and boards, but using this for the pieces looks like using an undiscovered Da Vinci for firewood. I think this may need a thread of it's own for discussion.
More
06 Feb 2010 00:22 #54927 by mjl1783
Shit yeah! I got my motherfuckin' Up Front (and for only TWO games)!

Awesome. I traded two games I'm probably never going to play for... another game I'm probably never going to get to play. Anyone wanna' VASSAL this thing with me so I can learn it?
More
06 Feb 2010 00:51 #54929 by Mr. White
Just traded Warriors of God for Martian Rails. Never played a crayon rails game, and I know everyone recommends vanilla Empire Builder, but the theme and content of this one sounds outstanding. Really dig all the nods to classic science fiction, particularly the sword and planet genre.
More
06 Feb 2010 02:28 #54932 by Dogmatix
mjl1783 wrote:

Awesome. I traded two games I'm probably never going to play for... another game I'm probably never going to get to play. Anyone wanna' VASSAL this thing with me so I can learn it?

I can send ya a log file of me getting taught up front if ya like. :)
More
06 Feb 2010 12:33 #54947 by SusanR
My household is still suffering in unemployment hell so our game budget remains almost nonexistent. In a way, I still think this has been good for us because it has broken us from out of that "cult of the new" way of thinking and we've turned our attention to the games we already own. Besides, the CotN mantle has been taken up by others in our gaming circle.

That said, a Runewars preorder was our Christmas present this year and we finally just got it last week. So far, I've only drooled over it. After selling some books at a used bookstore, I took my spoils a few doors down to my FLGS and picked up the new Cosmic Encounter expansion. I can hardly wait to try. Cosmic is becoming one of my favorite games even after hating it the first time that I played years ago while still in the throes of eurogaming love.

The one that is coming up soon that I'll be getting even if it means my kids have to go barefoot is Prophecy - Dragon Realm. I've been waiting *forever* for this and it is supposed to be out this month. I'll believe that when I see it but if it does, it is mine, mine, MINE.
More
06 Feb 2010 12:44 #54948 by dragonstout
mjl1783 wrote:

Good to hear!

The badness of the rulebook is really, really overstated. Granted: we haven't advanced past scenario A yet. But we're enjoying the hell out of that scenario, and as long as I introduced the rules in the same order as the rulebook, my wife essentially hasn't felt yet that it's too complicated. It shouldn't be a hard game to learn, even on your own.

Napoleon's Triumph, on the other hand...that, Republic of Rome, and Magic Realm are probably the three worst rulebooks I've ever read. I'm always amazed when I hear non-wargamers manage to be able to play Napoleon's Triumph.
More
06 Feb 2010 20:20 - 06 Feb 2010 20:22 #54970 by moss_icon
I bought "Roads to Stalingrad" which is a Spanish made game and a fairly fresh approach to wargaming. A reasonable amount of innovationa and a fun area movement + CDG system. the rulebook translation could have done with an English overview but the game itself is clever (if expensive) and well worth a look if you want an operational Eastern Front game with new ideas. the supply and combat systems are particularly original (to me at least).

combat works by drawing chits of different capabilities from a cup, you then carry them out in an order of your choosing. supply is on the board. you can only activate units within 3 areas of a supply token at which point the token is consumed. you can use a certain number of supply points during this activation to move / engage units. unique and smart!
Last edit: 06 Feb 2010 20:22 by moss_icon.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.938 seconds