October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Games Workshop--what are you buying, selling, playing, or painting?

More
16 Jan 2019 10:23 #290094 by Michael Barnes
Seriously, y’all...it’s awesome. And the expansions should be equally great. First up is an Ambull!

After my big force reduction sale focused on getting things down to Kill Team levels, I’m going all in on Adeptus Titanicus. I’m actually not going to play it until it’s painted- I’m incentivizing getting it done. I just started on it last week and I’m about done with a Reaver. It’s one of the most fun models I’ve painted. They aren’t nearly as hard to paint as they look. It’s actually refreshingly easy. Because of the scale, there aren’t annoying details and a million different things to paint. I’m doing Gryphonicus and Mortis.

Speed Freeks is really fun. It’s like a path based minis game gone berserk. It’s hardly original and there are some WTF design decisions regarding the dice, but overall a silly 30 minute punch up with awesome Ork buggies.

The buggies are neat- another fun build/paint- but they are full of annoying details so they take longer. I really didn’t enjoy the Warbikers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2019 10:55 #290095 by GorillaGrody
I grabbed a copy of the Pelenor Fields starter set for myself for Christmas. The revised Middle Earth rule set isn’t bad for GW, and features an admirable streamlining of the Fight phase, but it’s nothing I’m screaming to play, assuming I’d ever find anyone else to play with. I may try to convert the One Page Ruleset to accommodate the line one day.

It’s been relaxing painting the subdued, iconic figures. No judging where and which color of warp fire is commingling with the ash of a burning skull pile. Just cinematically bleak dudes, their horses, their muddied trains, a few skinny orcs.

More
16 Jan 2019 11:25 #290097 by Jackwraith

Michael Barnes wrote: I’m going all in on Adeptus Titanicus. I’m actually not going to play it until it’s painted- I’m incentivizing getting it done. I just started on it last week and I’m about done with a Reaver. It’s one of the most fun models I’ve painted. They aren’t nearly as hard to paint as they look. It’s actually refreshingly easy.

Sigh... I have like 10 painted titans for Epic Armageddon; Imperial and Eldar. 10! You will never play a game of Epic big enough to include 10 titans. But I have them, along with an assload of mostly painted Imperial, Space Marine, and Eldar stuff. That no one will play with because no one plays the best wargame that GW ever produced. I have multiple kinds of Baneblades. I have so many Imperial infantry stands that I could effectively caltrop my entire house. I have enough Terminator stands to fill up my opponent's deployment zone. I could do an entire army of pretty much nothing but Falcons and Fire Prisms (plus a couple Scorpions.) And no one will play it.

Sigh...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Jan 2019 13:30 #290103 by Gary Sax
By far my favorite GW scale. Space Marine was my first GW love when I was in my teens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
16 Jan 2019 20:23 #290128 by Sevej
Yeah, it breaks my heart that now I kind of able to afford it, it's gone. Shucks.

More
16 Jan 2019 23:47 #290133 by Michael Barnes
Heh, I know, right? When Epic was a thing, I only got to play it like two times but I thought it was awesome...but at the time I couldn’t afford to get into it.

AT looks -great- as far as the rule book goes. Kind of Battletech-y but plenty of GWisms. It isn’t hard though to feel that something is missing without infantry, armor, and other little things running underfoot of these beautiful machines.

I’m telling you, that Reaver kit is -awesome-. It’s just a joy to put together. My plan was to do one Warlord and one Reaver for each side, but I think I am going to double up on both kits to get a variant with other weapons for each Legion.

I also have two sets of knights and a pair of Warhounds for each side.

Thing is, this is actually Heresy era...and that is actually a benefit if they DO decide to do infantry and armor. Because it’s all kind of the same on traitor and loyalist sides, especially at 15mm scale.

More
19 Jan 2019 11:33 #290268 by SaMoKo
Damn, looking through this thread makes me realize how much GW has changed in the last few decades. I played Imperial Catachan in 40K for a bit, but I could never be assed to paint beyond spraying everything green. My artistic talents are non-existant. My sister got all those skills and works as an art teacher lol

I wouldn’t even know where to start now. You used to just buy a boxed set, supplement with a few extra squads and vehicles, buy a few rulebooks. $500 later you could play!

More
24 Jan 2019 17:33 - 24 Jan 2019 17:33 #290618 by Cranberries
Heroin for middle class nerds: how Warhammer took over gaming

In fact, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, a goblins-and-gnomes war game, and Warhammer 40k are ridiculous, over-the-top pastiches, created by people who were bored and angry under Margaret Thatcher, and channelled that rage into worlds where everyone is the villain, and hope has been extinguished for millennia.

Last edit: 24 Jan 2019 17:33 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
24 Jan 2019 21:52 #290635 by Sevej
Hmm it seems the writer don't have facebook.

But I agree, it's *the hobby*. Very rewarding.

More
25 Jan 2019 10:47 #290665 by allismom3
I've just started painting again after a 20 year hiatus. Digging thru some old boxes of rpg books, I found a handful of WFB Chaos Warriors, I believe from the early 90's. They all have a little nub on their non sword arm, I think they were for shields that had a hole in the middle to fit over the nub. I quick look at ebay WBF bits confirms this, but most auctions are from the UK, and shipping is pricey. Does anybody have 4-5 shields they are willing to part with for a reasonable sum?

More
26 Jan 2019 10:42 - 26 Jan 2019 10:43 #290713 by GorillaGrody
I felt pretty burned on Kill Team after paying 60 bucks for the non-entity that was the Commanders expansion. I was ready to jump back in with a local mini-tournament, but then they cancelled in order to “wait and see” what was happening with Kill Team: Arena.

Can anyone here explain what the hell is Kill Team: Arena? It’s nearly 100 dollars for what looks like a board and some scatter terrain. Kill Team has gone way beyond the recommendable sweet spot of “pick up the rules and a box of dudes and you’re good to go.” I’d steer my friends away at this point. The rules and product line is becoming a Necromunda-like morass.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2019 10:43 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
26 Jan 2019 12:11 #290714 by Michael Barnes
I just got it yesterday (advance copy). It’s interesting. The idea is that it is a set of balanced terrain boards and a specific terrain set along with numerous setups and scenarios that are designed to be completely neutral for competitive play. It’s kind of a big tournament kit, really, but it does represent four new “indoor” Killzone environments with their own random effects and it has the close quarters rules from Rogue Trader. It is not geared toward campaign or narrative play- more of am evolution of matches play.

Early opinion- I really like indoor/Zone Mortalis style KT, so I’m pleased with the boards. The terrain is doors, pipes, barrels and crates and they are to be built and arranged in specific ways. Again, the idea is to make it all even Stevens for everybody. Symmetricality is emphasized.

As I’m not interested in competitive play, the question is if there is value here, especially at $90 retail. I do really like the boards- it’s two of the same. And I do like the new Killzones. The terrain is almost all stuff they’ve done before, but I welcome more of that stuff because it’s always useful. I like the close quarters game a lot so I think this is all valuable to me.

However, if I were to choose between this box and the Sector Fronteris set releasing with it, I’d probably go with it.

Competitive players will probably get a lot out of the standardized setups and balanced gameplay.

Overall, I think it’s more useful than Commanders...most of the folks I’ve played with aren’t interested in that one. Not sure why it was such a misfire- I think maybe it adds just a touch too much complexity.

The new killteams look good...LOVE the GSC gunslinger dude. I’m tempted to get that new GSC hotrod thing just to use as terrain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
01 Feb 2019 06:30 #291269 by southernman
Well, at the risk of incurring a horrendous amount of mockery from Mikey Barnes, I will state that I have just bought Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault - the, pretty sure, first GW product that I have bought since Blockmania in the early 2000s.
I needed a shorter 2-player game (that could be expandein numbers if necessary) to fill in a gap on my normal games Sunday when half the group disappear for their new rpg group and this seemed to both have good reviews (as a skirmish game) and was a good price.
Obviously painting won't happen, as I'm not a minis gamer and my mates have too much of their own shit to paint, and I only bought it as the minis are now (well they better be) click-assembled rather than glued. It does sound like a very fun skirmish board game though so may be a good buy for the year.

More
01 Feb 2019 08:27 #291274 by Michael Barnes
It’s a great game- the depth is going to surprise you. One thing you have to keenin mind while playing is that it is not a long form game. Turns are extremely limited, it is not uncommon for one or more models to never even move. Or to get waxed on the first turn.

The models are all color molded so you don’t have to paint them...but some of them don’t push fit that great. I just got Mollog’s Mob and Mollog has to be snipped and glued- his pieces just didn’t fit right. I also got Godsworn Hunt, very excited to paint these Slaves of Darkness barbarians.

I’m all in on painting Adeptus Titanicus to completion. I freaking love painting this stuff. I thought the Knights would be a problem because they are so small (roughly MEQ) but the smaller scale means less annoying details and a greater degree of forgiveness. I put the checkerboard decals on one of their shoulders and was so proud.

Right now I have two teams, Gryphonicus and Mortis. Each has a Warlord (unbuilt), two Reavers, two Warhounds, and two banners of Questoris Knights. I’m getting the Cerastus Knights next week for them. I’m not playing he game until it is all complete to incentivize working all the way through it.

And today a pile of new Kill Team stuff comes in. Argh!
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
01 Feb 2019 09:11 #291282 by SaMoKo
What’s the best way to even enter Kill Team? The starter packs with the terrain and maps all seem to be gone, making it quite odd for new players. I guess I’ll wait for new ones to be reprinted or another starter set to be released? You’d think they’d try to keep the entry to the game in stock at least

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds