October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GW and FFG Breaking Up?

More
08 Sep 2016 08:58 - 08 Sep 2016 09:02 #233561 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Yeah...Talisman. Love it, but eventually unloaded it because I know a bunch of people with it. I suppose with so many copies and expansions out there I've taken it for granted.

I'm looking at the base game, highlands, reaper, and sacred pool. Those four only if I get back in.

If I do this, I need to make the call soon. I don't feel this FFG-GW split has really gotten out there. Though a few folks on the WHQ:CG FFG forum have picked up on it.

On the other hand...maybe with the flood of games out on the market now...no one will care if these go away. Doubtful though.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2016 09:02 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2016 09:12 #233567 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I think there's plenty of copies of Talisman out there it wouldn't be too hard to pick up second hand, unless there's some of the small box expansions that didn't get out there much.

More
08 Sep 2016 09:33 #233573 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
If and when this breaks, a lot of stuff has enough copies floating around out there that picking it up won't be that much of a problem. But for stuff that's scarce now, like some of the PoD expansions and Horned Rat...yeah that stuff is gonna get stupid expensive. Forbidden Stars hasn't been around that long, so hard to tell on that one.

A quick peak at the FFG forum revealed this (prophetic?) post:

community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/2...e-game/#entry2333148

More
08 Sep 2016 09:36 #233574 by metalface13
Yeah the Conquest fans seem to have been onto this for a while. I've actually wanted to try Conquest since it came out, but never had anyone lined up to play with.

More
08 Sep 2016 09:51 #233576 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

Msample wrote: If and when this breaks, a lot of stuff has enough copies floating around out there that picking it up won't be that much of a problem. But for stuff that's scarce now, like some of the PoD expansions and Horned Rat...yeah that stuff is gonna get stupid expensive. Forbidden Stars hasn't been around that long, so hard to tell on that one.

A quick peak at the FFG forum revealed this (prophetic?) post:

community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/2...e-game/#entry2333148

Gears of War had tons of copies floating around. It was $25 in one of those FFG holiday sales. 10-12 months later it's rocketed up in value. This stuff can disappear in the blink of an eye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
08 Sep 2016 10:03 - 08 Sep 2016 10:06 #233578 by Mr. White
I think those WHQ:CG PODs may shoot up the most. Only because I believe they've just been released and are now discontinued. The SH:DA expansions have had a few years of print runs. Still, I guess POD print runs are smaller than the usual.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2016 10:06 by Mr. White.

More
08 Sep 2016 10:17 #233579 by ChristopherMD
People can spend their money on whatever they want, but I'm genuinely surprised at the number here who will buy board games as investments or out of fear they won't be reprinted.

More
08 Sep 2016 10:21 #233580 by metalface13
I think it's more FOMO here than speculation. Still there will always be speculators in any given hobby. I read an article a couple years ago about a pair of guys who would buy LEGO sets when they went on clearance, rented a climate-controlled storage unit, and would wait for the collector's value to go up and sell them off.

More
08 Sep 2016 10:24 - 08 Sep 2016 10:44 #233581 by Mr. White
I'm not so sure it's looking for investments, but not wanting to pay higher dollar down the road.

I like SH:DA quite a bit, but never picked up all the expansions. Now that it looks like production has seized I think I'd rather try to get them now at MSRP rather than later for some much larger amount.

I was able to find the two. Supposedly, my LGS was able to order them from their distributor. Guess they had a few in the warehouse or something. And no, I didn't order any extra copies to shill later.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2016 10:44 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Columbob

More
08 Sep 2016 10:47 #233584 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Its not an investment, there are games that have been on my radar ( Forbidden Stars, WH:ACG that I both played and liked ) for awhile but given until recently the prospect of easy availability, no rush to buy them.

One of my gaming buddies for a long time did flip the big Lego sets.

More
08 Sep 2016 11:14 - 08 Sep 2016 11:15 #233589 by Mr. White
I wonder what Chaos Marauders will go for a year from now....$20?
Last edit: 08 Sep 2016 11:15 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
08 Sep 2016 12:01 #233593 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Retirement Plan: Cornering the market with a storage unit full of Chaos Marauders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, scrumpyjack

More
08 Sep 2016 13:01 - 08 Sep 2016 13:03 #233601 by Michael Barnes
It's definitely mostly FOMO, I think. That's why I'm getting what I want now. Plus it is kind of fun to have this "sky is falling" outlook on it. Most GW/FFG games have been around long enough for there to be PLENTY of copies to go around. Chaos in the Old World came out seven years ago and has been through multiple printings. Retailers and distributors will dry up, but that game will not be scarce in the next 10 years.

The POD stuff is a crap shoot. The thing about all of that is that it is all easy to duplicate/proxy. I think we'll see some of it go up in value, but not as much as some of the more optimistic speculators would have you believe with their pricing. You're still talking about little packs of 20 cards or whatever. These will never be $100 items.

Some of the expansions will go up. Horned Rat I've been seeing valued around $50-$60 already. If word gets out that it is gone for good, that might go up into the $75-$80 range. The Relic expansions were likely not produced on huge scales, so those could increase. But that game wasn't very popular, so there's that. The Talisman stuff...I dunno. If GW does their own, the FFG stuff I would expect would actually go DOWN in value unless they fumble it. Which they wouldn't.

Conquest, Invasion, Chaos Marauders, Diskwars...all will remain at the same levels of value and/or decline steadily as they leave currency.

What I think WILL likely be big bucks (meaning ($100-$200) in the next ten years is Fury of Dracula. That hasn't been out a year and if (big if) FFG can no longer produce it, that means there is WAY less of it out there than the other stuff. But there again, if GW does their own version that could tank the value of this one. Forbidden Stars I can see going over $100, but that kind of depends on a couple of things. I don't get a sense that the game was all that successful or particularly beloved, so that could impact it. But it is a big 40k-set StarCraft game. So that could be valuable in the future.

There isn't big money here in any of it, really. So my advisement is to buy ONLY out of FOMO, not to turn a profit.

With all of that said, what am I supposed to do with this warehouse full of Horus Heresy?
Last edit: 08 Sep 2016 13:03 by Michael Barnes.

More
08 Sep 2016 13:07 #233603 by ChristopherMD
I'm just happy now because I was able to figure out what "FOMO" means at only the third time used in this thread. Not bad as far as netcronyms go.

More
08 Sep 2016 13:08 #233605 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

Mad Dog wrote: People can spend their money on whatever they want, but I'm genuinely surprised at the number here who will buy board games as investments or out of fear they won't be reprinted.

I would never buy a boardgame as an investment. In fact if I come across things in game stores that I know are OOP or rare and I already have them (or don't have any interest) I will leave them on the shelf. I know I could easily flip them or trade them, but I want someone who is hunting for them to come across what they're looking for and be ecstatic. For example, there was a store I once went into that had a Warrior Knights: Crown and Glory Expansion for sale when it was OOP and roughly $60 online. I just let it sit there because I had recently acquired it. I went back to the store a few months later and it was gone. Hopefully someone that was really dying to get their hands on it, was able to.

The stuff I'm picking up is for games I already own and have always intended on buying. I was always going to get these things, but this is providing the needed nudge.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds