October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GW and FFG Breaking Up?

More
09 Sep 2016 10:49 #233721 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
The early expansions were fairly basic in that the added new adventure cards, spells, and characters. I think from around Bloodmoon on they started getting a bit more experimental with the expansions. So if you just want "more basic Talisman" stick with stuff up to Bloodmoon/City. If you want expansions that make the game a bit different check out any expansions designed by Sam Bailey or Jon New. Anything designed by John Goodenough is fairly respectful to "classic" Talisman. I personally prefer the later expansions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2016 10:50 #233722 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

jpat wrote: If one were to pick up Talisman at this point, what beyond the base game is most desirable?

I'll add to this...between Relic and Talisman what's the choice (or both)? why? I prefer the base game of Relic to the base game of Talisman but I suspect the expansions push Talisman over the edge.

More
09 Sep 2016 10:53 #233723 by Michael Barnes
I hate to say it...but I think I would choose Relic over Talisman. The two and only two expansions add a lot to it, and what is already in the base game feels like Talisman expansion stuff. Of course, it is 40k so if you don't like that then Talisman might be the pick.

I would say that The Reaper is the only "must have". I like the others, but that is the one that feels the best.

I wonder what this means for digital Talisman? I'd snatch all of that up if i didn't already have it all.

More
09 Sep 2016 11:01 #233726 by Matt Thrower

Egg Shen wrote: Kind of surprised to see that DungeonQuest is not on the list...perhaps it was an oversight in the press release.

DQ wasn't a GW original. It existed as a Swedish game called Drakborgen and GW just repackaged it into an English version. There were also been independent non-English versions released prior to FFG getting the licence. I presume the rights still reside with the original designers.

This is good because I was only thinking just the other day that we're overdue an expansion for DQ. I'd be happy enough with a small box of extra tiles and cards.

Anyway, of the list of casualties only Fury of Dracula and Chaos in the Old World stand out to me as ones it'd be sad to miss out on. The latter is especially interesting because it's a hybrid design between the two companies. FoD stands a chance of coming out again at some point if GW choose to pass on the licence or re-use it themselves. The chances of them both agreeing to pass on a licence for CitOW is much lower.

Tempted to pick up some Talisman stuff, mind, just to watch it accrue value :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen, JEM

More
09 Sep 2016 11:09 #233727 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I just put in orders for a batch of the GW stuff that I've had on my "for later" list. I grabbed WHQ and the Trollslayer and Witch Hunter packs from MM. Were those all the expansions released, or were there others?

I'm not getting these as investment opportunities, just that I did have plans to grab them, so grab while the grabbing's good.

More
09 Sep 2016 11:16 #233730 by ufe20
Replied by ufe20 on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Just grabbed the two Relic expansions. Only thing else on my "eventually" list was the Chaos in the Old World expansion. Anyone have any idea where to get that at a decent price? Seems sold out at my usual places, may have to check the FLGSs around here.

More
09 Sep 2016 11:20 #233732 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I'm looking for that too, but that's been really hard to find for a long time now.

More
09 Sep 2016 11:42 - 09 Sep 2016 11:47 #233738 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

SuperflyTNT wrote: It's official:
www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/57558/fan...-workshop-parting-wa

Wow...seems everyone at BGG thinks it is GW that called this off. Also seems to be a lot of GW hate. Likely due to most there being boardgamers first so siding with FFG. Some are even hoping this weakens GW so Asmodee can buy them out. Lame.

I'd bet this broke the other way.

Why would GW kill this marriage? They were making money from FFG paying the license fee and FFG was doing all the work making the sort of games GW doesn't do. Easy cash for GW as they focus on their minis heavy board games that can cross pollinate with each other.

I'm guessing Asmodee, not necessarily FFG, decided that Star Wars was getting them greater returns and decided anything they'd do in the GW universe they could do in Terrinoth/TI-world/Star Wars. Why keep paying GW when they could get all the profits from the same game set in their own universe _or_ set the same game in Star Wars and make more than if it was in a GW universe. Plus, the contract likely restricted FFG in the sort of games they could develop (IE: no minis wargame).

It's also the only way to explain how far along the RuneWars miniature game seems to be.

FFG/Asmodee made this move.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2016 11:47 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
09 Sep 2016 11:50 #233740 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
An ex-FFG employee posted on reddit saying he heard from a source that GW wanted FFG to stop producing miniature games (X-Wing) which they of course refused and lead to the termination of the contract.

That seems dubious to me as GW couldn't expect FFG to drop X-Wing.

More
09 Sep 2016 11:50 #233741 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha, yeah, that thread is hilarious. Lots of "I HOPE GW DIES IN A FIRE" sentiment and assertions that GW has burned their bridges and will now go out of business.

The truth of it is that FFG most likely has seen diminishing returns especially proportional to SW and that coupled with he ANA deal meant that paying GW wasn't worth it any more. But it's BGG, so it is always businesses being mean and/or stupid. And GW is evil and corrupt because people are willing to pay their asking prices for their high quality product.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
09 Sep 2016 11:54 - 09 Sep 2016 11:56 #233742 by Mr. White

charlest wrote: An ex-FFG employee posted on reddit saying he heard from a source that GW wanted FFG to stop producing miniature games (X-Wing) which they of course refused and lead to the termination of the contract.

link?

Y'all have to admit...this is sort of fun. A good shake-up is fun to speculate on and observe.

Now, the deeper discussion no one has brought up...time to start sleeving all your FFG GW titles? ;)
Last edit: 09 Sep 2016 11:56 by Mr. White.

More
09 Sep 2016 11:55 #233743 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
BGGers, most of whom don't know shit about W40K, have been burying Games Workshop for years. They'll hate on any company that shows overt signs of trying to make a profit ( MAP policies, licensing, IP , etc ) then turn around and throw scads of money at "causes" like Kickstarters. BGG "fundraising" , etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Count Orlok, Cranberries, Frohike, wadenels, ufe20

More
09 Sep 2016 11:56 #233744 by Michael Barnes

charlest wrote: An ex-FFG employee posted on reddit saying he heard from a source that GW wanted FFG to stop producing miniature games (X-Wing) which they of course refused and lead to the termination of the contract.

That is total bullshit. GW does a lot of stupid things and there is some high level incompetence there, but there was never a meeting where GW said "you have to stop making X-Wing". Business doesn't really work like that. SW and GW are different contracts, different licensing deals. But I bet that becomes the assumed true rumor now.

X-Wing is the biggest selling miniatures game right now and it has brought in folks from 40k. Which does make FFG a competitor, and there could be a perceived conflict of interest there. But you wouldn't have execs delivering that kind of ultimatum to each other, especially not to 86 an entire product line that is extremely successful. GW's people are probably smart enough to to realize that the SW license is far more valuable, they would have zero leverage on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
09 Sep 2016 12:00 #233745 by Mr. White
I've got to admit...I like GW's renewed interest in boardgames, their change in WD format, new commitment to the community, etc. They're making great moves.

It's even got me sorta interested in exploring 40k.

My point is...it's going to be fun cheering on GW as overnight they've become the underdog against the FFG/Asmodee giant.

I never thought I'd be in GW's corner like this again...

More
09 Sep 2016 12:01 #233746 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
"An ex-FF employee on Reddit"

Is that a more credible source than my sisters brother in law's cousins boyfriend's little brother ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Columbob, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds